Saturday, June 29, 2024

Saturday night

 Yesterday went well. I listed 20 items on Ebay to keep things rolling, and got out of here with some things to mail in time to mail them, then go to Whole Foods to eat, then go to Target to get a jug of Persil, then get over to the temple in time for the service. 

We sang our cowboy songs and it was fun because we had a different cantor, a guy, who's relieving our regular cantor who's taking time off to have a baby. So we'll have a lil' cantor running around in no time. 

Afterward, I ended up sitting at a table with a guy, God forgive me, I call "Shrek" but not out loud and if you saw him you'd know why I've hung that name on him. And a guy who's some kind of officer in the temple because he always wears a little hard-to-read badge like all the other little hard-to-read badges the other officers wear. He'd skipped his usual solid yellow shirt, probably because I'd said last time he looked like he just got done winning a bike race, for a solid green one. So of course I had to tell him he's the most promising Junior in the bike race. It turns out he follows bike racing so I told him about a great book I'd read years ago by a British guy who rode the exact path of the Tour, and in the process related all kinds of interesting things about it. It's really a great read. 

Pistachios. It turns out the rabbi loves pistachios. So the next time there's a pot luck I'll have to make something with pistachios in it. 

The cop hadn't brought my cake pan back - he'd forgotten it - but will next time and we talked about guns and stuff. 

On my way back here I felt like stopping at TAK Market for a coffee beer but they've taken a lot of the exotic beers out and of the more interesting ones, you have to buy a 4-pack which can be north of $20. What they did do, however, is put in a whole section of "cutty bangs". I got a small bottle of Kahlua instead of a coffee  beer and made a Kahlua and coconut milk drink when I got back here which was OK I guess. Then dinner then for dessert I just drank the 2nd half of the Kahlua straight which actually tasted really good. I should have just gotten a cutty bang though. 

I woke up around 8:30 which is perfect. After an hour or two the guys next door started in with their pressure washer but I found that I could pretty much ignore it if I was deep enough into a book so I read the 2nd half of "Survival In Auschwitz" by Primo Levi. Then I read a bit more of "Sapiens" by Harari but I finally quit in a bit of disgust due to his having written things like "Nationalism is dying down" etc. 

I ended up reading about 1/3 of "Chronicles Volume One" by Bob Dylan which is pretty interesting. At least the part about how he first got started is. The guy was really, REALLY, obsessed with folk music. And at a time when it seemed like a bigger dead-end than Johnny Cash's fascination with gospel. He was young, fit, could sleep on anyone's couch or floor, and in the 50s and 60s one could make a living busking in NYC. Plus he used equal, large, portions of schmoozing and chutzpah. It's a fun read so far. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Official Acts

 I've had overnight to think about this modern-day "Enabling Act" such as Hitler got, which allowed him to go into full dictat...