Monday, June 3, 2024

Monday - feeling better still

 It's Monday and I feel better still - just about normal. My balance no longer feels messed up and I no longer feel jittery. I had a little wine yesterday, emphasis on a little - like a half-glass. 

What I think I'm recovering from is alcohol withdrawal, just thank goodness a very mild one compared to the ones I've gone through in the past. 

My final acts last night were to brush and floss and chew xylitol gum to make sure my mouth was nice and clean, and to do trumpet practice while watching a rather good Israeli movie I found on YouTube. That thing on my lip is healed it seems, and I was able to do a good practice. 

Practice and regular busking sessions are essential to my plans. If I'm cut loose here suddenly, I'll have to put my stuff into a storage unit and probably end up sleeping at Tom's place. I can go out busking for day to day money, and will try my best to keep up my progress in converting to Judaism and making ready to move to Israel. I'm hoping to hold off getting Social Security as long as possible, but in a few months I'll have that up my sleeve if needed. 

When I'm in Israel, I'm hoping busking will work out great for day to day cash money. Just as planned for moving back to Hawaii, the social security will ensure I sleep under a roof, and busking will provide money to actually live on. 

Sadly, I'm still a regular reader of r/homeless on Reddit, and it amazes me how, at least of those who post on there, pretty much no one has any talent or interest or anything to work on the street. Art, caricature/portrait drawing, sign painting, music of any type, marionettes, balloon-twisting, any sort of thing like that. It could well be that the people who do have those skills are not posting on r/homeless. 

I slept in until noon but was glad to have slept so well. I packed 15 things and between that and eating and other tasks I was out of here at the usual time, around 6. Everything had to go to the post office but  I stopped at H Mart anyway for some heavy whipping cream, an onion, and celery. I also picked up two little boxes of blackberries around back. 

I found various boxes and things on the way back. It was nice and actually a little bit cool today. It's going to get very hot tomorrow, and I went on the Grainger site to buy a high-vis sun hat. I really wanted a high-vis boonie hat but we'll see. I'll go pick it up tomorrow and I'll give it a quick try-on, if it doesn't fit or I just don't like it, I'll be right there to do a refund. 

I exchanged a couple of long emails with my friend Pat on the Big Island. He was curious about my decision to probably not return to Hawaii and wondered if converting to Judaism was the reason. I said that it's kind of nonsensical to be a Jew in Hawaii when the religion is based so much on returning to Israel. I forgot to mention that the life expectancy and quality of life in Israel is much higher than anywhere in the US.

But that was only part of it and another large reason was that I thought I'd be pals again with my older sister, with whom I'd been very close at one time. But that I'd tried getting back in communication and it's not possible, it seems. I described how, even 10 years ago, her having gone to Punahou seemed to be just about her whole personality and it's probably only worse now. How it's said that people get more politically Right as they get older, but that actual studies show they get more Right as they get more wealthy. As since she (actually her husband) has gotten wealthier and wealthier over the years, my older sister might be a raging Trump cult member by now. Since even decades ago she was given to saying idiotic things with an air of great wisdom, like "Nixon was our most intelligent president" and "We're not a democracy, we're a republic". She could well be spouting old issues of The National Review these days, but somehow reconciling that with worship of the Orange sHitler. 

And of course my youngest sister, being a Christian, has been hating Jewish people since high school. 

Pat mentioned that his mother was Jewish. I said that means he's eligible to move to Israel under the right of return. I wonder if I can get him out of Puna that way, because his life there sounds rather hellish. For instance I mentioned how often people get killed and eaten by dogs in Hawaii, especially in his area. His reply was something like "Sure, it happens, but not enough to not move here". Yeesh! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Things left unsaid

 They were holding another rave or whatever the hell it is last night. Tons of people, starting at 2AM, parking lot full, people hustling in...