Wednesday, June 19, 2024

Fish blintzes

 I made the aforementioned fish blintzes last night for dinner. 1 egg + flour, milk, and a bit of melted butter makes 5 crepes and I cooked one piece of the frozen cod I'd got at Sprouts with lots of minced parseley, then once cooked, minced it up small and mixed in cream cheese, for the filling. They were OK, but kind of bland because Lo and behold, cream cheese dampens down the taste of things. But at least I tried them, and got more practice making crepes. 

They're doing an interview (actually the 2nd part of a long one they did the 1st part of yesterday) of Dr. Fauci and what a mensch. A lot of lives were saved by the "Fauci ouchie". I may well have had covid bounce off of me due to having kept up with the vaccinations. 

In this book: https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/the-coming-plague-newly-emerging-diseases-in-a-world-out-of-balance_laurie-garrett/248564/item/5915195/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_everything_else_customer_acquisition&utm_adgroup=&utm_term=&utm_content=593719077582&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwg8qzBhAoEiwAWagLrLXICrQ8_KKlxb27jFNWhKq0fE-oH7GBGSzbLDBzOZAPLzbkqoyquhoCEsYQAvD_BwE#idiq=5915195&edition=2373560 which I read avidly when it came out, I believe I read that Bill Gates, not a doctor of course but very up-to-date on such things in the latter part of his life, thought that the next "plague" would be a coronavirus because coronaviruses are kind of the bane of humanity. And in fact we dodged a couple before Covid, SARS and MERS. Not to mention bird flu. 

And we'd been through the 1918 flu, the "Tokyo" flu which circled the Earth a few times and which I believe I got a taste of when I was 6 or 7, and the swine flu which I may have had in 2011 or so. And the mysterious "coughing thing" which Ken coughed on me and I got, and I remember having to make my dinners look pretty to induce myself to eat them. I wonder if that was Covid, because Covid may have been in the US on the West Coast as early as October of 2019. 

I can't believe I'm going to be here for the election. My plan was to skedaddle back to Hawaii on my birthday in September. Tell Ken I was doing a quick exploratory trip, and just not come back. Instead I guess I'm planning to stay here two more years at least, to do my formal conversion to Judaism and arrange to go to Israel. 

This means not collecting Social Security until I'm 65, as opposed to 62. Doing this solves some problems though. For one thing, there's something called the "Medicare doughnut hole" where you can get it but have to pay for it at age 62, but it kicks in automatically at 65. Plus I'd get kicked off of Medi-Cal. Plus I'd not see much of my Social Security check because I'll still work for Ken and the Social Security Administration would take a good part of my check back (to issue to me post-age-67 apparently so it's not all bad) and all in all it'd just be ... weird. 

Even if I get to Israel before I'm at age 65, I'll have enough savings to get by for the first year or so and then there's busking. It'll be the same as it's always been: I may be old but since age 18, official kicking-out-to-sink-or-swim age in the US, I've pulled my own weight. Even when I've been a panhandler which I was for about 6 months, at least I didn't do something really unethical like become a used car salesman. And as soon as I could come up with something that's like actual work, I took a pay cut to go do that. 

So I suspect I'll do alright in the homeland. 

Today being a holiday, I pondered whether to cash in a bunch of books at the used book store, or to take my trumpet and go out and play, perhaps playing pieces either written by black people are associated with black people. But in the end I found a couple of things to take apart, and after tossing the scrap metal out, got all the various bits and pieces worth selling all ready to just shoot the photos and list tomorrow morning. 20 things so it will be 55 for the week, and I really only have a standard of 50/week. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Things left unsaid

 They were holding another rave or whatever the hell it is last night. Tons of people, starting at 2AM, parking lot full, people hustling in...