Monday, June 24, 2024

RIP Tamayo Perry

 Late last night I learned that the guy I'd known when he was a chubby little kid, and we all lived in the poverty-stricken cluster of houses next to Kaya's General Store in Punalu'u, the kid whose father had taught him "kung fu" moves and his mother fed so well he was big for his size, and I'd have this kid, about 4 years old, come up and bash into me and he weighed like 2/3rds what I did. He was so damn cute, and even his mother nick-named him "Tomato". 

He went on to become a champion surfer and then a lifeguard/waterman and then he went surfing in La'ie by Goat Island and a shark killed him. This guy was fit as hell and knowing ol' "Tomato" he would have put up a real fight if he'd had any warning but he apparently didn't. I always thought in the back of my mind that the little guy would outlive me but  I guess not. 

I'd always meant to get out to Goat Island if for no other reason than there's probably lots of kahelelani shells out there but I guess  I never will. 

When I was looking at things in Israel a while back, it depressed me that it's not a place you go for seashells. The Red Sea, where Jacques Cousteau had his first magical water experiences, sure. But the beaches of Israel are reportedly shell-free, or it could be that mollusks being treif, they're just not remarked upon. 

But Israel is outstanding for something that's seemed magical to me since I was a little kid - archeology. There are "digs" everywhere and very fertile ones too. There are even programs where even as a retiree you can go and help and I believe you get room and board. 

Plus to walk the same streets walked by the Romans, and even the Neanderthals, to be in the one patch of land (outside of Africa itself)  where humans have been just about the longest. 

Last night I managed to watch two videos, about an hour and a half each, one of "Relaxing Walker" walking from Jaffa to Bat Yam, and one with this one guy who goes to squalid places in the US, noted for his sarcastic tone of voice, who went to Oahu and went around on his own and then rode around with a guy who's a mainlander who'd been in Hawaii a dozen years or so. Hawaii's a bit greener in some places but Israel looks 10X more live-able. In "Relaxing Walker's" video, I saw no one homeless person or crazy or bum, only at one point some bags left on a bench and that was it. Happy birds, happy kids (I believe in Israel it's economically possible to procreate) and just ... normality. 

If nothing else, a move to Israel will be a big plus just to get away from the zombies. Zombies in San jose:  https://www.reddit.com/r/SanJose/comments/1dn2izo/scary_experience_in_downtown/ Zombies setting zombie fires in San Jose: https://www.reddit.com/r/SanJose/comments/1dna1s8/aggressive_fire_in_downtown/ Zombies just as bad (if not worse) in Hawaii: https://www.reddit.com/r/Oahu/comments/1dmrwa9/crap_you_have_to_put_up_with_walking_to_work/ Meanwhile in Israel the IDF will part their hair with a billy club if they pull that shit there.

Along with millions upon millions of others, I'm really hoping Shits-His-Diaper-Don doesn't get elected. I'm looking at arming up again in case things get bumpy, but would base my rifle/pistol combination on the 9mm I guess. But I'd rather not spend the money if I can avoid it. 

Stinkypants Donnie is mis-calculating on a lot of things though. For one thing, Hitler, his role model, wanted to genocide about 1% of the population - Jews, Roma, disabled, etc. Donnie Dorkus is talking about genociding at least 10% of the population and he and his followers would really like to kill off at least half - all political opponents, LGBT, Blacks, those obviously not "Aryan" to start, with whites who are not certified "Aryan" to be liquidated later.

The trouble with this is, in Nazi Germany, the random person had about a 1% chance of being killed by the Nazis. Under the MAGA regime, we're talking 10% - 30%. That changes things a lot. In Nazi Germany, you could justify your old high school teacher or doctor or that violinist on the corner downtown being shipped away as being foreign, even evil and not at all like you. But under a MAGA regime, we're looking at Ken's wife and kids, almost all of the people who work at my bank, the staff at most of the restaurants downtown, bus drivers and scientists at Stanford, and so on. Everyone, no matter how "Aryan" will have someone they know, someone they're related to, destined for the death camps. 

Plus, the Germans could liquidate 1% of their population and keep functioning fairly well. But taking 10% or more of the workforce out of the economy would be disastrous. Managing a slave army of 20 or 30 million would take a LOT of manpower by the "Aryans" plus I'd expect to see sabotage and other forms of resistance at epic levels. I don't see it really working at the level Dumpo and company want. but given the US has tons of prisons and is eager to build more, I can see things getting very bad for non-"Aryans" here and I want to be gone by the time that comes. 

And to think that not long ago I thought I could move just about anywhere in the US and be OK. To think I was considering retiring in New Orleans, because  I play the trumpet. When in fact crime and drugs are a way of life down there and Louis Armstrong left and never returned for a reason. 

At 3PM I heard a funny sound and looked outside. It was pouring rain. I looked at the weather radar and sure enough, a cute lil' storm cell was passing right over here. Refreshing and hilarious. 

I packed 12 or 15 things and left at the usual time. They all had to go to the post office so it was a straight shot up there. I came back and Tom was home so I stopped by there and hung out for a while. I tried to interest Tom in some makgeolli from H Mart, he buys and I go get it, but he didn't have any cash. We just sort of hung out for a while, talking about little things. James tried to sell him an old, probably bad, go-kart battery which he turned down. Tom's wife got done with whatever it was she was doing in Tom's camper and went into the kitchen and started cooking bacon so eventually I left. 

On the way back I got some carrots, a couple jalapeno peppers, a red bell pepper, and a bunch of cherries from the veggie dumpster. Another dumpster yielded a big can of "honey roasted" nuts, about a $25 can of nuts, that looked like someone had opened it, realized they were honey roasted instead of being just salted or smoked or something and decided Fuckit. Their loss, my gain. They're delicious. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Things left unsaid

 They were holding another rave or whatever the hell it is last night. Tons of people, starting at 2AM, parking lot full, people hustling in...