Thursday, September 12, 2024

When it rains, it pours

 Ken came by an hour earlier than usual last night. I'd just cooked and eaten Burger In A Bowl with two fried eggs on top, and Ken said it smelled like tacos. I said it was onions, peppers, and I'd used some garlic powder and that's probably why. I said at least I didn't cook fish, and if I cook before he comes over I always make sure it's something familiar. 

I got my check, and we talked about all kinds of things as usual. He wasn't wearing his blood glucose monitor so he had to test himself and he was low and I didn't have anything around here he was interested in but he remembered he had a bottle of A&W root beer in his truck and drank that. He says the main way he can tell he's low is he'll start to get a white-out in the center of his vision. Ouch. 

I used to keep a box of brown sugar with a spoon all ready to go here, but then I thought he was carrying lots of fruit juice in his truck. I think I'll get another box of brown sugar because that stuff can sit for years and be fine. 

Ken's going to get more big capacitors, so along with working on the bike tires, I've got to move things around to make a place they can be put. 

After Ken left I got 15 things ready to list which took some time, some of it was taking a thing apart as well as general cleaning, prettying-up, etc. 

I woke up at 9 this morning after having an anxiety dream that was a jumble of worries about Ebay, about moving to Israel, etc. As the Talmud says and both Nikola Tesla and Harry Houdini agreed, dreams are just a mishmosh of one's daily events and things one is worried about. 

I was able to list 15 things on Ebay, pack a couple, and get myself cleaned up and took off from here, walking, with the two packages and a bag of bike tools. I didn't have to wait very long for any of the trains or buses I took today so that was nice. 

First the post office, then I walked over to the bank and deposited my check, their math and my math agreeing to the penny. Then the next stop was Good Karma Bikes. I waited to talk to the big gal who I'd not only bought the folding bike from, but who gave me the neat patches yesterday - she was the only one who know where the patch stash was. 

She was putting a Campagnolo gear cluster on a wheel for a guy, and the dumb little gears have to be put on *just* right and the right side facing out, etc. Then she said "We need a cap" and went off to help someone else with something more urgent, and I noted a cap sitting there so I put it on, finger-tight. The old shop guy tightened it down, so when she came back up front, it was all done. 

I held up the Walmart bag I was carrying, and said, "I'd said I'd bring you guys some tools I've never used..." and brought out a bunch of new Park tools I had indeed bought and never used. A pedal wrench, chain breaker/installer, cable cutter, a smaller pedal wrench, a new tube of Phil grease, and some odds and ends. They were very happy to see these. Then I sprung the trap: I said I'd like to get "however many more patches you'd like to give me" because "I have a large Christmas list and some of them have children..." 

So I got something like 50 patches and 165 stickers. We're talking about $1800. So I could have simply listed the tools on Ebay and let them sell, or I could do a swap like this where a lot more money comes in. I don't mind doing this because business is not good right now so I don't mind pitching in. 

Next I walked over to Whole Food and got some food and ate, drank a tiny bit of wine like 1/4 of one of those "airplane" bottles, along with a can of fizzy water. 

Sated, I walked over to the light rail and took it to Japantown, and walked to Nijiya where I got eggs, beef, and some other things most importantly a "medicinal" bottle of orange Fanta. The whole bottle has 60 grams of carbs, it's fantastically carb-rich. And Ken wanted something orange or lemon, so I have something to keep around here in case Ken gets low sugar again like last night. 

I walked back out to the light rail and then from the Airport/Metro station to back here. In the end I had something like 15 or 20 lbs of stuff in each hand, and I stopped several times to rest. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

It's even funnier the 2nd time

 First the pagers, now the radios. It's almost like being a member of Hezbollah isn't a good idea. Lots of discussion on Reddit, nat...