Sunday, September 8, 2024

Saturday night Sept. 7

 I got things packed and got all the things done I had to, and got out of here at the usual time. At Whole Foods I saw they had "Baron Herzog" wine that was both Kosher and something called "Mevushal" which means it can be handled by non-Jews, essentially, and Kosher for Passover. And about $12 a bottle. 

What a great thing, I thought, to buy a bottle and take it to the service and people can have something that's not Manischewitz? Well, it was a great idea and I had fun helping Richard, the helper guy, pour it into all the little cups - I wanted to be generous so I put 2X the wine in each cup as usual. 

So we had our service and sang our cowboy songs and had a good ol' time, and then it was time for kiddush (wine) and ha-motzi (bread) and the wine... well ... someone said "You can tell it has tannins". I ended up talking with people and met an interesting guy who had acquired boxes and boxes of old Hawaiian stamps from Wells Fargo so now he's "the" big Hawaiian stamp expert. And he lives not all that far from here. He's also a fraud consultant for Ebay's coin and stamp group. I got his card. 

After talking a bit I was about ready to go and about half the red wine was still there in the little cups so I had another to really taste is and ... it's got this burned flavor that I don't like. That's probably why no one else wanted it that much. 

I rode over to Whole Foods and got a different bottle of wine because I had a bottle of Baron Herzog at home for my "good" Shabbat wine, and now I didn't want to drink the stuff. I got a bottle of pinot noir because I wanted to see what that was all about and it's OK, like cabernet without the bite. 

Today I read about half of "The Children Of Men" by PD James. I'm not sure if I'll ever get to see the movie so I might as well read the book. It's pretty good. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

It's even funnier the 2nd time

 First the pagers, now the radios. It's almost like being a member of Hezbollah isn't a good idea. Lots of discussion on Reddit, nat...