Sunday, September 15, 2024

Starting my Sunday the right way

 By sending $50 to the Harris campaign, of course! 

I got a little practice in last night, and also had an interesting thing happen. The dumpster that the machine shops use, it turns out, is never actually locked. They close the doors to the enclosure so they're very even and there's a padlock hanging on there, but the lock is just "there" it's not locking anything. Well, last night one of the doors was a little mis-aligned so even I could tell it was not locked, time for a look in there. 

Because I've probably pulled $2000 out of there over the time I've been here. So I went to have a look and surprised a homeless lady who was in there rooting around. It was a lady I'd met there before, so we talked. She needs knee surgery but believed that because she'd been to the ER at Stanford she couldn't go to Stanford. I said it doesn't work that way, and she ought to check and see if she can get it done at Stanford. Her own doctor is in jail for a dozen years because his wife was cooking the books and so she was doctor-less. I also told her to look into organizations like St. Vincent De Paul and so on. 

Anyway, the trash. She was looking for a purse or a backpack, anything like that. I thought about my CostCo backpack which really isn't that great, and told her to wait a minute, and went in here and got it. I gave it to her and said it had only cost me a dollar and she'd use it a lot more than I would. 

I'm sad to see on Reddit that another nut has self-immolated or at least tried to (he lived) in front of an Israeli embassy. That's the Western Death Culture in action. I've long felt, since a teen, that suicide is illogical. In terms of Judaism, I'm pretty sure the idea is that your life is not yours but God's; it's not yours to take. 

If this latest idiot wanted to actually try to change things, he could simply get a tourist visa to go to Israel, and go around and see how things really are. Maybe let himself be captured by the Hamas he loves so much. But honestly, go there, boots on the ground, talk to people Israeli and Arab, and see what's really going on. Maybe find a way to volunteer, there are plenty of pro-Hamas organizations, sorry to say, the biggest being UNRWA. 

I didn't feel very motivated to get out there so I decided I'd try playing the 5-7PM time slot. I stayed in and took a big ugly piece of test equipment apart because we can get more for the parts. Then took off at around 5, and first checked out the Old Spaghetti but there were two loud sources of canned music plus a live band I didn't want to interfere with. On to Whole Foods. 

It was cloudy which as far as I'm concerned was great. I bought a bottle of water to use as a weight to keep my tip box from blowing away, and set up to play. I planned to play from 5:30 when I set up to 7:30. It went well. I'd practiced up a few cheerful songs and really mixed things up at one point playing "High And Dry" by Radiohead. 

One gal came up, put a $20 in the box, and I said I do requests, and she wanted me to play "Beautiful Dreamer" again so I did that. This other lady who's convinced I'm a teacher (I can't change her mind on this) put in a $20 and hurried off. The motorcycle-riding guy from Greece came by and put in his customary change, and the Paperclip Bandit put in two little $2 bundles secured with colored paperclips. I guess he's happy to see me back. 

There were no tweakers, no Grandpa Hate, no bums, just no problems at all. I ended up playing until 7, and almost all the tips, maybe all but one, had been in the first hour. I made $83.50. I got a lot of compliments on my playing too. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

It's even funnier the 2nd time

 First the pagers, now the radios. It's almost like being a member of Hezbollah isn't a good idea. Lots of discussion on Reddit, nat...