Saturday, September 14, 2024

Saturday night

 Well, after listing 10 things on Friday I actually got my ass in gear and fixed the flat tire, and moved that tire to the front wheel and put a newy-new tire on the rear, and was back on 2 wheels. 

I didn't leave here until past 5 but that's OK because I only had two small packages to ship and I know of some mailboxes that are open. I took off and dropped off trash, then went  over there and dropped the packages, then went over to Whole Foods. 

I invented a dish I call "Sticks And Stones". What you do is, take a bunch of the Parmesan cheese shavings, which look like little sticks, then put some Kalamata olives on top, those are the stones. Then put some "zesty tahini" dressing on top because that's the bottle that's always at least half full, because tahini is too exotic for most. It's a lot of calories for the weight due to the cheese, tastes good, and can be eaten quickly. 

Then I went over to the temple for the service and I'm glad I did. I was welcomed by one of the ladies who holds some kind of office, those who do wear these little pins that are hard to read but are shiny and rectangular and so it's easy to see this or that person is "ranking". She had me sit near the front and then a lady who is originally from Brooklyn but "has lived here longer than there" sat right next to me. 

I had my glasses ready but instead of the screens, we used siddurim but different than the ones used outdoors. These are hardcover and the print's small enough to almost but not quite need reading glasses. And the lady next to me had an even harder time because the page numbers are in black and blue, with the black ones going the way Western books do and the blue ones going the other way like Hebrew books do. 

So we sang our cowboy songs and I could just imagine the wagon train makin' it over the hill and the brave cowboy's back from the trail and gonna marry the Sheriff's daughter and the sagebrush blowin' in the wind, but also I helped the lady next to me a lot, keeping up with the page numbers and showing with my finger just where we were. She kept thanking me too which was neat.

It was a small attendance but it was a great service. It was supposed to be a "Rock Shabbat" but "rock" ended up being one guitar. I got to make the rabbi laugh a few times in the service and the oneg, and all in all I left feeling great. 

I went back to Whole Foods and got some "salmon bites" and decided I'd try cheaping out and got some beef hot dogs. And the cheapo wine, nothing special. Cold hot dogs, salmon bites, cuke slices, and wine for dinner.

Then, well, shabbat. 

Now I woke up at noon or so, read the 2nd half of Children Of Men, the ending of which ended up a little too pat for me. 

I also watched the most amazing 9/11 documentary by a pair of brothers from France, who were filming a documentary about a rookie NY firefighter, and then 9/11 happened so they filmed that. I'd always been kind of, "too soon" about watching anything involving 9/11, but I'm glad I watched this one. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

It's even funnier the 2nd time

 First the pagers, now the radios. It's almost like being a member of Hezbollah isn't a good idea. Lots of discussion on Reddit, nat...