Tuesday, June 28, 2022

Welcome to NATO

 I did so much extra stuff last night that after listing 10 things on Ebay, cooking dinner, doing all sorts of things I had nothing left for painting the loft. So I didn't do any actual painting. 

I woke up a bit past 3, and of course the radio is abuzz with wars and rumors of wars. Turkey has decided to approve Sweden and Finland joining NATO but in return, Sweden has to turn over some people Turkey says are "terrorists" including some journalists. This is where I'm really hoping the CIA can organize some completely deniable operation where the journalists end up kidnapped out of there and disappeared to somewhere safe, before they die after horrible and lengthy torture in some Turkish dungeon. 

But who am I fooling? I'm just a boomer who grew up with an image of the US as Superman and in reality we're barely Clark Kent in wimp mode. 

Sweden and Finland joining NATO is a big thing, though. I've been looking at a lot of stuff about WWII and the lead-up to it lately and it's kind of amazing, the allies didn't do much as Hitler took Austria, Belgium, Holland, etc and only started to get going he they took France. 

I finished off the 16 or 18 things I'd pre-packed, packed two more that had sold overnight, and got going my usual time. Everything went well at the post office and FedEx, but that 2nd cup of coffee I'd had was a mistake and I had to whiz really bad. 

I have the code for the downstairs storage unit memorized so I checked in there but it turned out the bathroom was locked. It's probably only open 9-5 when someone's there at the office. So I just held it and dashed back to the shop  along Rogers Avenue which was just crawling with zombies. In fact I had to dodge a couple zombies on bikes who looked like they were looking for people to harass or things to steal, by riding over to some dumpsters and getting very interested in a veggie box, and sort of hiding behind the dumpsters until they'd gone up Brokaw. 

I got back here, had my pee, and ate some boiled peanuts I'd bought at Wal-Mart. "Peanut Patch" brand and ... not very good. The very best ones are the ones they cook in Hawaii, 2nd best the ones from Santo Market here but they don't do 'em any more, third the ones from Da Kao but they closed, and last place would be these. 

Pretty soon it was time to go (I figure the people at the business that has the bountiful dumpster knock off around 8) but I had to wait because a zombie came rattling along on a bike with a trailer stacked with stolen bike parts. For some reason, this zombie paused for quite a while to mess around with the front derailleur on his bike, a part almost no one messes with, ever. Or was the damned thing observing me, hoping I'd be foolish enough to ride out, where I could be attacked? I waited a good while then took off and never saw that zombie so it must have found other zombusiness... 

What the hell is it with all the zombies, though? Last night my nice time with the cool breezes coming in the open door was abruptly stopped by a clattering sound as a zombess I'd not seen before, pushing a cart heaped high with bags of junk, trundled by. So there are regulars but there are new ones too. 

So I took off again for some "fishing" in the bountiful dumpster and it paid off, and I got a red bell pepper from the veggie dumpster too. To make it look like I'm just looking for stuff like copper wire, I grabbed one of those little space heaters and a hair dryer, and I left those out for the bums when I got back here, and sure enough, Crazy Chrissie, with some male bum driving, came by and picked 'em up. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Stealth

 This: https://www.wweek.com/news/2024/05/16/jewish-student-at-reed-college-is-struck-with-rock-a-day-after-vandalism-of-religious-symbol/ I...