Wednesday, June 8, 2022

Manuals on the menu

 I woke up at 3, for some reason thought I had time for coffee, aspirin, and to relax a bit but I did not, so after that it was coffee, nuts, vitamins, and packing the 7 things I could round up at short notice as quickly as I could. 

I got out of here about 10 minutes early, actually, and the drop-offs were zero problem. 

The fiber optic dumpster featured manuals today, and I pulled out about a banker's box worth. Plus for some reason the HVAC place had some .... terminals with touchscreens? Not sure what the buggers are and what caught my attention was the neat power switches on some of them. 

So after getting back here from the post office I hitched up the trailer and first, went over and grabbed the terminal things which was a good heavy load. A scumsucker came by, can't tell if it's the one that pissed in the mail slot as all these scumbags look alike, but I had my "explainer" with me and got it into my hand, ready to rock-and-roll, as the guy rode past. We're in that strange time where it's too early to just go in with guns and clean out "crack alley" but things are crappy enough that it's apparent that "crack alley" needs to be cleaned out. 

I dumped those back here and then went over to the fiber optic dumpster, pulled out a lot of boxes to get to where I could fish the manuals, at least most of them I think, out. Then replaced the boxes of course. So far no one's said anything. 

I got back here and organized my haul, put boxes and shipping stuff away, got it all neat, then moved the stuff to one side of the office, vacuumed the other side, then moved it back and vacuumed the first half. Then changed out the vacuum cleaner bag which is a very yukky process. I basically use hot water and cleaner to wash the thing. I need to buy some more bags too. 

I cleaned the bathroom and relaxed a bit and pretty soon Ken was here. I showed him my scores and told him by all means, look through the manuals and take any he wants. He did take a couple. He brought over a few shipping boxes, some big video thing new in the box, and a microwave "jewel box" for me to take the goodies out of to sell. He wrote out my check, too. 

We settled in to talk, and I got the "jewel box" and put it on the desk and Ken decided he wanted this one thing, an amplifier I think. So I got some tools out and started taking it out, but one screw was really stubborn and Ken ended up getting a drill and drilling it out. We talked about everything under the sun while I took the rest of the things out, and Ken decided he wanted the enclosure too so while we shot the bull, I had something for my hands to do, taking all the interesting bits and pieces out. 

Ken took off and I sorted out what I want to sell, put some boxes out in the dumpster enclosure, etc. At about 2AM I noticed there was a bum over by the dumpster for the HVAC place, digging around. I thought that was pretty funny, the guy may have had the medical touch screen things all scoped out and instead .... I got 'em. He dug around and pulled out other junk, including a hot/cold water dispenser thing. That ought to be worth some crack. In fact I was so humored by seeing that bum miss out that I took one of the medical screens apart and yep, there's a nice LCD and touch screen in there, plus some other bits. I'll tackle those tomorrow though; I've taken enough apart tonight.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Stealth

 This: https://www.wweek.com/news/2024/05/16/jewish-student-at-reed-college-is-struck-with-rock-a-day-after-vandalism-of-religious-symbol/ I...