Friday, June 3, 2022

A Nice(?) Windy Day

 I was up late enough sifting and sorting and counting etc. that I just did some octave exercises and went to bed. I woke up at around 2, and got out of here around three. 

I dropped off donations at the free libraries and picked up a couple of books, rode around a bit, went to Whole Foods for chicken wings, broccoli, and a near-beer, and bought some club soda when I was done with that because with the warmer weather I'll drink more of it. 

The wind was vicious today and I didn't feel like fighting it going home, so I took my bike on the light rail and rode up to the station just upwind, then rode over to places I check on Friday normally anyway. The computer place yielded a few things and a couple nice boxes to ship small things in, and the nearby place actually had a bunch of fiber-optic cables, like 15 of 'em, so that was really good. 

Now I can just stay inside and listen to the wind howl. 

The wind *did* keep a lot of the zombies off of the street. I guess it bugs even those who are re-animated dead. And there were no petition-botherers etc. at Whole Foods so even though it was windy, I'd have gotten tips if I were busking. And there's a big festival, a sort of super First Friday, downtown called SubZero with bands and so on, and I've always wondered about busking near one of those. 

Honestly, busking with the flute is going to be a whole new game. I *was* out busking with flute, inspired by Red I guess, but I still can't for the life of me remember what tunes I was busking with. They must have been simple ones, and I must have been playing more than one or two, because only playing one or two would get terribly boring. 

I have a general idea of how the public likes the trumpet because I've done it a fair bit. But the flute ... will they like it more? Less? Notice less because it's not as loud? Wendell from New Orleans does OK with flute, but he's not been around for a couple of years now. None of the buskers have been. Maybe they're all dead or something. 

I can stay here, working for Ken, for more than two years if that's what it takes to get my flute-playing into shape and save more money, but there's that sword of Damocles hanging over my head in the form of, it looks far more likely than not that the US will go full Nazi in 2024. Hawaii is of course a part of the US,  but it's probably the best place to hide out. 

Leaving the US is of course on the table but that brings a lot of problems of its own. If I want to leave, tons of others will too and I can't think of where any of us will be especially wanted. At my age it may be far more useful to die with honor than to leave. 

Getting away from grim reality a bit, as I write I have key oil, some headjoint corks, and the "Flute 101" book coming in and since they'll get delivered to Ken's house he'll bring them over next week. The Trevor Wye beginner book is great, but it's hard to have too many beginner books. 

And speaking of books, I have enough amassed to take to the used book store so I think that will be tomorrow's adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stealth

 This: https://www.wweek.com/news/2024/05/16/jewish-student-at-reed-college-is-struck-with-rock-a-day-after-vandalism-of-religious-symbol/ I...