Friday, June 24, 2022

The rollback begins

 Well, they overturned Roe v. Wade. This is just the start for the fascists, who will not be appeased but will be emboldened. I know the voting rights act of 1965 is one of the next things on their menu, and soon to come will be rollbacks on immigration policies to pre-1965 where it's severely restricted for non-whites, and even the Dred Scott decision which has to do with blacks having any rights at all, and also has to do with the old fugitive slave law, which has implications for people going out of their state to another one for medical care like an abortion. 

After entertaining Ken last night and listing 15 things I was really tired so I just did some octave exercises, trying to figure out why it's become harder for me. I think the answer is, I've not been making a small enough hole between my lips, which may be a lazy habit from trumpet. On trumpet, after all, you just cram the mouthpiece on there and blow and consciously making a small aperture is supposed to be bad. 

I woke up at about 3, had coffee and cleaned up a bit and headed downtown. Dropped off bags of over-the-counter pills and some other things at the little free libraries but didn't find any books I wanted. Did my banking and at least the numbers came out close. There's a monthly service free for getting a physical statement each month and that fee is waived if I have X amount in my account, and I forget if it's more than $3k or more like more than $5k. It's probably that fee. 

I went over to Whole Foods and had meatballs and broccoli and a club soda because for some reason there wasn't any near-beer in the usual sort of basket by one of the beer coolers. And I'm not about to drink a beer! 

After eating I walked up to TAP Plastics and looked around, and ended up getting two little bottles with syringe-needle tips but not sharp. They were $4 each but will be super handy, the one with the larger needle for Break-Free to lube my bike, and the one with the smaller needle for Yamaha trumpet valve oil which I'm going to use for key oil at least on my student flute. I don't know when FluteWorld is going to send my key oil, eventually I guess, but I don't want to do anything on my intermediate flute since I've got a free adjustment coming and I don't want to tinker with it at all as long as it's under warranty. 

I got a few things at Whole Foods, then went to the Amazon place to pick up some little bags I ordered and a lot of bubble mailers. Then swung by Nijiya for some things too. 

I got back here, put things away, and realized I was an hour early to check the bountiful dumpster. It looks like the business there is in operation until 8 in the evening, so I wanted to check after 8, and it was only 7. So I rode up to H Mart and bought some things there, found a bunch of LED light fixtures at the lighting place, and got back here to unload this 2nd load of stuff, then hitched up the trailer and went over to see what today's goodies would be. The trip was worth it. 

So here I am back, did a fair amount of shopping and have $40 left that I can allow myself to spend. Plus I went to take books to the used book store tomorrow and will take cash for those - it might only be $10 but it all adds up. 

Needless to say there were lots of zombies downtown, and I rode past two suitably disgusting beggars by the entrance to San Pedro Square. But no buskers. That occupation is pretty much extinct here in the center of "Silicon Valley". 

The zombies, though ... last night at 3AM a zombie came walking through, no bike just walking, carrying a black plastic trash bag, the American Tourister of the undead. It went into the dumpster and had a good ol' time rummaging around, then when the trash truck came around, made a big show of opening the gates of the dumpster enclosure, and when the truck was done closing them again, then for some reason, methamphetamine only knows, *ran* after the truck for a distance.  I think the ploy may have been on to make the driver think something of personal value had accidentally scooped up and stop the truck and get out. But the driver was too smart for that and kept driving. The zombie ran back and went back to futzing around in the dumpster enclosure and then wandered off. Then at 4AM two zombies, one of which I believe to be "Brenda", a troublesome zombie who was here when we moved in, rode through on bikes. Scouting for stuff to steal, no doubt. And just now as I write, this same pair of zombies rode through again, scouting. 

Besides cashing in books, I want to go back to TAP to get a piece of plastic rod or tube that's just the right size to push the cork out of a concert flute headjoint so I can replace the cork on my student flute. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Stealth

 This: https://www.wweek.com/news/2024/05/16/jewish-student-at-reed-college-is-struck-with-rock-a-day-after-vandalism-of-religious-symbol/ I...