Wednesday, June 29, 2022

Chummy with the bummy

 I woke up a little after 4, packed a few things for FedEx and headed out. I stopped for a yogurt drink on the way back - man that guy keeps them cold! It's like drinking delicious ice. 

I didn't find much for packing stuff on my usual round and stopped at the bountiful dumpster to see what was going on there. Just as I pulled up, a car pulled up and a scumbag right out of Central Casting go out. "Mind if I look for stuff too?" the bum said. "No problem!" he went on about finding the elusive "number two wire" and I nattered on about how it was mostly packing supplies I'm looking for as I work for a guy selling stuff on Ebay. This morphed into a story about why I wanted fiber optic cables and oddball stuff because my boss has a daughter who makes art out of odd techie looking stuff, how we cut up the fiber optic cables and make these light-up "fountain" things, yadda yadda. 

This guy, as I said, was right out of Central Casting. White, bad teeth, seemed to have a phobia against soap and water.... I complimented him on his (no doubt stolen) car, "Wow, a Mustang, you got yerself a 'Stang!" etc. He said he used to sell on Ebay .... this is puzzling as there's a lot more to be made selling on Ebay than scrounging around for bits of wire ... but then Ebay takes being somewhat legal in all sorts of ways and the metals place pays rightaway and the crack man delivers pretty quick too. 

I actually loaded up a good load of stuff and I'd had a really good "harvest" from the EMT training place too, so I took off, unloaded, and went right back out since Mr. Bum would be done. I went back and got another nice bit of things, so this was a pretty good day as far as finding things goes. I even picked up a printer that has a flat bed and thus should work as a scanner too, and I've got to scan my important documents as part of my preparations to leave. 

I took my 2nd load home and did the usual things, cleaning the bathroom and office, putting things away, etc. I also finished the load of laundry I'd started last night. Basically it's heat up hot water and use hot and cold to make warm in a tall "office" trash can, let soak overnight with, I've figured out, two Tide pods, then the next day whenever, plunge it a bunch of times with my laundry plunger thing, change water to clear and plunge a bunch again, then a third go with some fabric softener. I'm still using this "Eco" stuff I got during the shutdown because it was all I could get.  After this final rinsing/softening cycle, it's wrung out and hung up in the loft, where it drips a lot hence the drip tray.

Because I'm going to paint the loft, I didn't want to use my regular setup because it's where I'll be painting, so I took a 2nd curtain rod I got some somewhere and set it up between two boxes and put the drip pan underneath, and turned a fan on the clothes as they dripped away - they stopped dripping pretty quickly and will be all dry tomorrow when I get up. I was glad I had time until Ken came. I got my pay check and he also bought these two 1-oz Australian silver coins from me; we'd agreed on a price of $45. I was amazed he'd remembered so he must have been looking forward to getting them. 

Ken and I talked as usual, plus he'd brought a bunch of stuff to sell or take apart and sell the parts, plus he got a kick out of this green medical dye I'd gotten, so I stripped the dye out of these packs it was in, and will sell another part that's in there. I told him I don't know how long this gravy train will go on, but I'll keep riding it until it stops. Part of my leaving here will have to be to show my replacement, or Ken, where the goodies are to be found. 

I took a bunch of stuff apart and put a lot of junk out for the bums. Wait until I take this big optical thing apart - it's chunky and weighs more than I do and most of it is going right out there. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Stealth

 This: https://www.wweek.com/news/2024/05/16/jewish-student-at-reed-college-is-struck-with-rock-a-day-after-vandalism-of-religious-symbol/ I...