Tuesday, June 14, 2022

Hot and windier

I listed 15 things on Ebay last night, pre-packed a bunch of things by which I mean did just about all of it but stick on the label, which I print out but just tack on with a little cellophane tape and leave for later. This gets finding the things and finding the packing materials and doing the actual padding and packing if the thing goes in a box, out of the way. 

I had a guy buy 2 of something Ebay was sure I had 26 or so of, even after taking out his two. And searched through 4 boxes of stuff before I finally realized a repeat customer had actually bought my last two and he'd paid enough shipping that if I'd had a third I'd have sent him that too. Ebay pulls this scam once in a while, it will decide you have two, or 26, of something that you don't. So I had to cancel the order and end the listing. 

This left me pretty pissed off and very much reminded of how much I hate Ebay with all my heart and soul. I got ready for bed and put in a bit over an hour of practice but not just octave exercises but actual practice, up through "Muffins" in the Wye beginner book. 

The thing with the Wye book is, I think he doesn't want the student just playing by ear so besides things that are just exercises, he chooses pieces of music, generally archaic, that the student won't have sung as a little kid or heard on the radio. Plus there are techniques to teach. So old Muffins has staccato, slurred notes then a staccato note then a regular one, and so on. 

I *will* get to actual music eventually though. I still can't remember what I had for repertoire when I busked with a flute, those years ago. Did I just flog the same thing over and over? I can't believe I did that much of that. I guess it doesn't matter but what does matter is I get out there as soon as I'm able. 

I went to bed at 8AM and woke up at 12:30, thought about staying up to set myself on an earlier schedule, and decided I need sleep, so went back to sleep until 4. And the computer needed a bunch of updates which took at least an hour so it's a good thing I had all those packages set up with labels printed and nothing needed doing that requires a computer. I packed those, put things away, and once the computer was operational, with a half-hour left, packed a few more things. 

I headed out the usual time - it was hotter and a lot windier than yesterday - and did my post office and FedEx drop-offs, and stopped in for a yogurt drink. I think this is about the last time I'll be able to hand the guy a bag of change - I think he's getting tired of it. 

I rode back, finding a very few shipping things, and saw Tom's truck in front of his shop. So I circled around and stopped in to hang out for a bit. He'd been back up to Alaska to see his dad, who's really bad off - end stage Parkinson's. His "ace carpenter" buddy, Rob, who he's got for a helper now, and who has/had a big, beautiful, top of the line truck, smashed that truck completely in a head-on collision out on Old Bayshore. 

It's the guy's fault, but the other guy, apparently, is a character the cops hate so they decided it's his fault. Meanwhile, Rob's got a metal pin in his neck and was in a coma for 48 hours and some Sawzall blades in the center console of his truck flew up in the crash and sliced one of his ears off so they had to staple it back on. And he's got a new truck on order, the very same one only it will be a 2022 model. 

There wasn't anything in the "bountiful" dumpster but that's OK. I got back here, took some car body part someone left by the dumpster out to Old Bayshore and put it in a dumpster there, and got in here and closed things up for the night. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Stealth

 This: https://www.wweek.com/news/2024/05/16/jewish-student-at-reed-college-is-struck-with-rock-a-day-after-vandalism-of-religious-symbol/ I...