Saturday, August 3, 2024

Trying to beat the heat

 On Friday I packed a bunch of things to take with me and drop off at the downtown post office. I left a little early to try to find one of the covid test booths but they were all done for the day. I had ten tests, thought I had eleven, but my math was off when I told Ken I had ten tests he could have. 

I'd figured I'd test myself before going to the service but I didn't, to save those ten tests for Ken. I dropped off mail and trash, and went up to the bike shop to see if the tire I'd ordered was in. It was, and I either never got the text they were supposed to send me or I ignored it as I get a lot of political texts these days. 

They had it, so I rode back over to Whole Foods and got a slice of pizza and a non-alcoholic Guinness. I can't believe they only charge $2 for one. In fact their price is better than anywhere I've seen for singles, 4 packs or 8 packs. At the checkout the young guy there kind of shook the can and I said, "Don't shake it" and he said it feels like there's something in there. I said there was, and if you shake it at all it really foams up. 

So when I opened it it really foamed up but I knew what to expect and kind of inhaled the foam as it came out. When I was done enjoying my beer and pizza, I went into the loo and cut the can open in the sink and rinsed it out well, and went back to show the guy what he'd felt rattling around in there. I said the Guinness in cans has those little nitrogen balls in them but some other brands might too. 

I still had time to kill so I went over to the book store and after looking around quite a bit, got a book of Cordwainer Smith short stories called The Instumentality Of Mankind and with my trade credit, only had to hand over another dollar. 

Now it was time to go over to the temple, and we did our thing, sang our cowboy songs, and the 90-something doctor was there so I was able to tell him I now know the Hebrew words for right and left, and how to say "to the right" and "to the left". 

After the service I had a fair amount of hummus because I'd not get to eat back here until almost midnight, I figured. They also had a special thing this time, a lot of artwork was in a room and we could go in and each take a piece, donating if we like. I didn't see anything I wanted though. 

And then it started to rain a bit. Not very much, but you never know if it will get heavy. So we all got out of there a bit quicker than usual. The cop was there but in the middle of an apparently important phone call, and my cake pan was on the bike, so I put that in a cloth bag and rode home with the tire hanging off one handlebar and the bag with the cake pan off the other. 

I got back here and put things away and cleaned the bathroom and office and even had time to wash my fan which had a fair amount of crud on it, running 24/7 as it does. It's why I cut the front screen away, not only to make them a bit more efficient but to make it easy to clean them. Just some Windex, a bristle brush, and some hot water. Then I just plug it in again and run it and it dries itself out in no time. 

Finally it was past 10:30 and then past 10:45 and I decided it was time to sling a little magic. I called Ken's cell phone number and then Ken's house and as the phone was ringing at Ken's house, Ken pulled up in his truck. It really was a quick hand-off. I handed Ken the bag with the 10 covid tests and another bag with some OXO cooking utensils for his wife. Of course this being nearly midnight on a Friday I couldn't go to the bank, will be too busy (I think) to go to the bank on Monday, and I might as well wait a couple more days and I can deposit both week's checks next Thursday. If I get a check next week. That's the thing with high tech. The pay's not as good or dependable as if I were a balloon-folding clown or a tap dancer who also does magic tricks. 

Oh yes and it's almost midnight as I write and it's 83 degrees here. But at last next summer will be warmer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's even funnier the 2nd time

 First the pagers, now the radios. It's almost like being a member of Hezbollah isn't a good idea. Lots of discussion on Reddit, nat...