Thursday, August 1, 2024

Here comes the oil...

 I put a ton of things away, and moved a bunch of stuff to make things better, so that's good. By that time it was pretty late at night and in the process of putting stuff away I noticed that oil was leaking in through the back wall from the machine shop behind us. There had been a little leak a few days ago and I'd put cardboard down; now the cardboard was soaked. 

I finally put my outdoor clothes on and went over there and knocked, in case anyone was there but got no response. So I came back here, wrote a note, and took that over and taped it onto their door. 

I finally went to sleep and woke up around 9, amazingly. I checked the oil situation and it's drying up again. The oil seems to soak into the concrete over time so it'll go away, it's just yucky. 

Most of today's work in worrying apart an old oscilloscope we might get $50-$100 for, but in parts can get a few hundred. Worrying indeed, it takes hours to take one apart. At about 1:30 I realized if I made a FedEx run with the two medium-sized things, and packed them quickly, I could visit my favorite lunch truck. Being flush with cash ($6.94 in change) I felt like a treat. 

So I packed the things (one for FedEx and one for UPS) and got going. I'd timed it just right, the lunch truck lady was there. I got 4 pieces of breaded fried fish and two tartar sauces for $4 and it was a delicious lunch. The thing with the tartar sauce is, not only does it make the fish even more delicious, but it's like a lubricant and enables eating the fish about twice as fast haha. 

Then I went back around the corner to Tom's and knocked on his door. And yelled a bit. He was on the phone - he's work-from-home so he's probably on the phone a lot. I said I was here to take the frozen crepes. He made a motion like "go ahead" and went back to his call. He'd been talking about getting rid of them because he's about to go on one of his month-long vacations and doesn't really like them that much. 

So I loaded them all into a big plastic bag, 30 or more pounds worth, and strapped that down on top of my two boxes and took off. First I put the crepes by the dumpster behind H Mart. There are people who regularly scrounge there so they stand the best chance of being used if they're there. 

Then dropped off the FedEx box and went across the street and dropped off the UPS box. 

Then I picked up some boxes behind the gym and rode back here. I realized if I were quick, I could check out this traffic safety place to find a high-vis baseball cap like the one I already have. I want two, one to wear and one to wash. So I went there and they didn't have them and had a bit of an attitude etc. (It turns out there's the real place and this place which has a similar name - Interstate and Intrastate or something, I've never been to the actual place and will try to draw myself a map because it's complicated to get to the actual place). So I was like Fuck it I tried. 

I stopped by the Mexican market and there was a covid test booth there. The lady took care to make sure I got the freshest tests, which was nice of her. In the summer I look like I could be Hispanic, and this helps me sometimes.

I rode over to Nijiya and got a little sashimi thing and some green tea. The sashimi thing was well worth it as, unlike other places that make their dishes to look like there's more than there is, this was carefully crafted to look smaller. It was a good serving for $4. I got $40 cash back too. 

Then I went back in for a bottle of Kewpie, joking with the guy about Kewpie anxiety when you don't know if the mostly-used bottle you have is your only one or if you have a backup. And got $40 cash back. 

Now I was equipped for my Weekly Wal.  I stopped on my way at the burger bar place and paid $1 for a cup of ice water, freshened up my iced tea and put the ice in a veggie bag and put that in the bag I had the covid tests in. They're not supposed to be stored too hot and I take that seriously. 

On down to Walmart where I spent most of the $80 I had. Instead of a box of wine I got a bottle of Manischewitz. I think one kiddush cup of that on a Friday evening is all I'd want, and I'm supporting a Jewish company. And the usual other things - roast beef, fish, some cucumbers, Parmesan cheese, yadda yadda. 

On the way back I got some bubble mailers at the Amazon place and some books. I also drank an entire Coke Zero I got at Walmart, as it was really hot out there. 

Got back and finished worrying the scope apart. Wow, I think I've taken apart 2200 series, and 500 series, but not a 7000 series and I can see why they were big money way back when. There  was a ton of labor in putting them together. Now I have a bunch of circuit boards etc to list. 

Dinner was "burger in a bowl" about 1/4, maybe closer to 1/3 of a lb of ground beef from H Mart, on top of diced jalapeno peppers and onion, not cooked just put in there, then the burger is, as my mother used to say, "kibbled" so it's easy to cook and doesn't spit much grease around. That's put on top, then a little mustard and a lot of mayo. Really good! 

I called Ken around 10, and he said he's not coming over tonight as he's still testing positive. I said that we could just push it off until next week. But he really wants the covid tests I have for him, 10 of them now. So he wants to do a quick hand-off of my paycheck and he picked up the tests. He's planning to come by late tomorrow night, past 10. 

I finished the load of laundry I had soaking that I'd started last night. It turns out letting it soak a week and each Sunday, finishing the load that's soaking and then starting another to soak, isn't a good idea. Three of my T-shirts shed a lot of their dye and are now a blotchy black and brown. 


 



No comments:

Post a Comment

It's even funnier the 2nd time

 First the pagers, now the radios. It's almost like being a member of Hezbollah isn't a good idea. Lots of discussion on Reddit, nat...