Monday, August 5, 2024

Aw Nertz

 I woke up at 10, had "some" wine last night but not to the point of being drunk, went to bed and slept soundly, and got up and started to plan my day. When I plugged in the jerry-rigged light I had set up to compensate for one of the overhead lights being out, I lightly bumped my fan with my foot and then noticed it wasn't running. 

I don't think it was the bump though. This fan runs on something like 9VDC through an AC adapter but the actual fan mechanism is the standard AC motor so I think what's going on is there's actually a little inverter in there. And inverters can be delicate. I think when I plugged in the other thing a little spike went out and killed the inverter. 

This means I could go in there and wire it for 120VAC directly with an in-line switch, but for now I need to hie me down to Walmart and get a new fan. I have a back-up fan but it's a little noisy and I don't want to listen to the thing. I use it to blow on my drying laundry in the cold months. 

If I can I'll get this very same model of fan because I really like it. I just need to be careful about unplugging it when I plug/unplug the jerry-rigged light. So it's off to Walmart and the bank. I need to deposit the check I just got from Ken and the weather forecast is for "Hot, and then hotter" so I need a new fan.

Elite (made in Israel!) coffee and cream to wake up on and reading Reddit of course. On r/homeless someone asks "How do you get a job when homeless?" The thing is, you're probably not going to get a yuppie type job. But you can get a lot of jobs like detailing cars and so on, and you can do any of a number of entrepreneurial things. But its' really hard to have that "This is an opportunity!" mindset. It was hard for me and I grew up pretty feral as they say, plus split off from the working world to do that sport, a thing almost no one does without a solid middle-class or better family supporting them, then got into swap meet selling and Ebay. And even then, it really knocked me down when I lost everything. So your average well-adjusted type will have trouble. 

I left here at 11:30, rode over to the bank and deposited my check and my calculations and the bank's agreed to the penny so that was good. Then I went over to Whole Foods and had chicken wings and a near-beer. Then I checked the fans at the hardware store and didn't see anything I was that eager to buy. So I rode down to Walmart and among other things, got the very same model of fans, the Better Homes & Gardens on. 

I'm thinking *washing* the fan may be what killed it. The fans I had before were simply an AC motor and a mechanical switch. That kind of thing can be rinsed with clean water and be OK. But this fan has much more circuitry and I think I should be much more careful in cleaning it, is all. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

It's even funnier the 2nd time

 First the pagers, now the radios. It's almost like being a member of Hezbollah isn't a good idea. Lots of discussion on Reddit, nat...