Thursday, August 26, 2021

Unexpectedly warm Thursday

 117th day sober. I was up at 3, and did all the usual things, coffee and vitamins, shined shoes and shaved and cleaned up a bit, and was headed for downtown at 4. 

First stop was of course the bank, then I went over to TAP Plastics. I'd had a couple of the sprayers on some sprayer bottles I used every day go bad, and first was going to go to the ACE Hardware and buy some spray bottles there, then I realized TAP Plastics probably has that sort of thing. And they did. For a little over $4 I got 3 sprayers and a neat short squat plastic jar, perfect for keeping dimes in. 

Next was Whole Foods, where I got some hot food and a single non-alcohol beer and went upstairs and ate. Then I walked up to the drug store and overpaid for some paper towels and index cards, but Eh, it beats walking over to Target. 

Then it was back to Whole Foods for a can of iced coffee and to relax a bit, drink that and chew my sugar-free gum, and get started. I got started at 6:30 so I would play until 8:30. I actually went pretty well, and it didn't hurt that the day's first tip was a $20. 

I thought it would get cold when the sun went down so I'd brought a sweater and a windbreaker but instead it was warm. The highlight of the day was talking with a guy who played bagpipes, and who'd had a twin brother who played drums "Everyone knew him; no one knows me" who had died. I mentioned that bagpipes are very loud, and that when a guy had been playing them on St. Patrick's Day by O'Flaherty's I could hear them all the way over by St. James Park. I also urged him to get out and play. 

As usual the time kind of dragged and I made just about all my tips in the first hour. And next to no tips from 8-8:30. In fact when I saw it was 8:30 and time to go, I told myself, One more tip and I'll go. I played as earnestly as I could and pretty soon had a tip, played the "Goodnight" song and packed up. I'd made $77.84.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stealth

 This: https://www.wweek.com/news/2024/05/16/jewish-student-at-reed-college-is-struck-with-rock-a-day-after-vandalism-of-religious-symbol/ I...