Sunday, August 15, 2021

I needed the sleep

106th day sober. Up at a bit after 3. I didn't practice last night and went to bed a bit sooner than usual; read some more of the Bill Mauldin biography. 

I hadn't even made a cup of coffee last night to put in the fridge to have all ready to drink when I got up, so I swallowed some aspirin with some fizzy water and took off for downtown at about 4:20. 

First stop was Nijiya where I got a few things including a can of iced coffee, which I drank right away, then dropped off some various food things I'm not using in the little free library around the corner. 

Next stop was Philz coffee, which is reputed to have a type of pastry being talked about on Reddit and some of the better examples too. It sounds like something I ought to try at least once, but they were out of them. Oh, well. 

I went to Dai Thanh and picked up a few things including this sort of Chinese fried dough thing, a sort of Chinese fry bread, to see how that is. I ate it over in the little park nearby and it was pretty good - interesting anyway. 

Next I skirted around the San Jose Jazz thing, and who did I hear call my name but Leroy. I circled around and caught up with him, he was with some family members or friends or something, and I asked how he'd been, said I hadn't seen him at San Pedro Square, etc. He said he'd been involved with the jazz fest and he'll be back out there. 

I went over to Whole Foods and locked the bike there and walked up to the book store. I got a used spiral-bound copy of the Arban Method, and new copies of Parable Of The Sower by Octavia Butler and Mogambo Snuff Box by Kurt Vonnegut. That all cost me the rest of my trade credit and almost $47 besides, but I told them how I'd heard on Reddit how the crazy christian anti-maskers had hassled their store. I asked if it had been one day and they said they'd come around to hassle them for three days. I told them how one of those types bugged me while I was playing Amazing Grace in Mountain View, so I'd jazzed it up and when the guy said to "stop doing that" I jazzed it up even more and drove the guy off. They got a big kick out of that. 

I hauled my books back to Whole Foods and got some baked pork and veggies and an elderberry shot, and figured I'd get an alcohol-free beer upstairs. But they were out. I asked about getting a fizzy water and the guy came up with a can of Whole Foods fizzy water that was under a dollar - I told him I didn't know it was even a thing, and thought the fizzy water was just in a spigot there on the bar. Neat! Of course I tipped a buck because I've always tipped at least a buck a drink. 

The bartender asked if I was playing today and I said No, this is just a day off for me. But, I said, it looked pretty busy and if I played on Sundays I'd probably play a lot earlier like 3-5 or 4-6, because people go to church, then to lunch, then do some shopping. 

So I sat and read the introduction and some of the Kurt Vonnegut book. It was really nice. That took me up to 7PM, and as I went back out to my bike I saw it was *still* fairly busy. I honestly think I could buck just about every day and bring in that $50 a day that I could probably live on. 

The ride home was very peaceful. The sun was a big red disk due to the smoke, but it's also kept things cooler than otherwise, I think. Maybe this is the way the Earth tries to cool itself - by burning stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stealth

 This: https://www.wweek.com/news/2024/05/16/jewish-student-at-reed-college-is-struck-with-rock-a-day-after-vandalism-of-religious-symbol/ I...