Monday, August 16, 2021

Small Filipino market

107th day sober.  I futzed around with Ebay stuff, sorting and labeling some IC's and, of course, practiced but practice was kind of disappointing. I didn't practice at all Sunday, rationalizing that it's my day off yadda yadda, but it took me a while to get to playing above the staff. Just tired, I guess.

I was up at 3, packed small things until about a quarter to 6, left at a quarter after, and dropped them off at the post office. Then I went to a little Filipino market that's only one block up from the complex 99 Ranch is in. It didn't have that many things I wanted, but I managed to find $15 worth of stuff to buy. 

Then I locked the bike up at 99 Ranch and walked up to Paris Baguette and got a ham and Brie croissant, which was pretty good. I got some things at 99 Ranch, again spending about $15, then rode over to H Mart where I got just under $20 worth of stuff. 

On the way back I stopped by Tom's intending to have a quick visit but one never has a quick visit at Tom's. We ended up talking about all kinds of things while he drank continual cans of beer and on his 4th or 5th one and near the end of all our talking, he decided I really need an MFA. He meant a Master of Fine Arts. I said he's good at grants and such things, so all he has to do is get a grant for a half-million dollars and that ought to do. There was no getting him off of the idea so the only way out was to go along. I'd need a BA first, to be eligible to apply to MFA program, and all this would take time as well as money. "I don't think you need the BA first ...." he said, and I said, "Well, that's one thing you'll have to research, along with rounding up the grant" and we both said Bye and I rode off. There's a good chance he'll have no memory of what he was ranting about the next time I see him. 

(Just to clarify, it might be an interesting 6 years if someone else ponied up the money for me to get an MFA, but I'd never use it as an MFA is not actually necessary to be a street-busking trumpet player.) 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Stealth

 This: https://www.wweek.com/news/2024/05/16/jewish-student-at-reed-college-is-struck-with-rock-a-day-after-vandalism-of-religious-symbol/ I...