Saturday, August 7, 2021

Clear Again

 98th day sober. I listed some Ebay stuff last night, the usual routine, and practiced a bit too. Even after 4 hours of busking and some hours of rest, I could play high C's so that's interesting. 

I slept in until 4. I had my coffee and vitamins and so on, and got out of here. I stopped at Nijiya and got a few things including a chashu don (roast pork on rice) and a near-beer and ate over at the Issei building because it's such a nice place to sit and eat. 

There was something going on in St. James Park which turned out to be a wrestling show with a ring and announcer etc., and had a small crowd. And off to the side was my caricaturist friend. For some reason he had a vintage "Peanuts" comic strip book by his side, and I asked to look at it - it's all "reruns", a compilation that was obviously put together around the time of the Moon landing. We talked about Charles Schultz and how "dark" some of his classic strips could be. We'd both grown up reading Peanuts and "That's why I'm an artist today", my friend said. I said I had to go, to do *my* thing, and took off. 

I had chewed gum to get my mouth nice and clean on my way, so I started right in playing, as it was 20 after 6, so I was already 20 minutes "late". 

It wasn't hazy today, so I had the sun in my eyes. Great for playing with my eyes closed to look "inspired". I felt my tone getting rough pretty early on, so I tried to take it easy. At one point a guy from Brazil and I talked, and I told him about the Frank Sinatra "Coffee Song" and he pulled it up on his phone. He got a real kick out of it. I said he can tell people it's his national anthem and he said he has a couple of guests coming over who are Brazilian but raised here or something like that, and he'll play it for them. 

It was really a bit of a slog but I worked out "Danny Boy" and that's a real plus. In the end I made $35.53 making it a total of $155.24 for the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stealth

 This: https://www.wweek.com/news/2024/05/16/jewish-student-at-reed-college-is-struck-with-rock-a-day-after-vandalism-of-religious-symbol/ I...