Wednesday, August 4, 2021

Headache tapering off?

 95th day sober. Up at 3:30. I'd sifted and sorted Ebay stuff and listed things last night, been up until 6AM and went out to the lunch truck and got an egg and sausage sandwich which I ate with plenty of hot sauce to help the headache a bit, then just settled down and went to bed. 

I didn't practice due to the headache. When I woke up, before getting out of bed, did a lot of deep breathing exercises which seemed to make me feel better. 

I had coffee and vitamins etc. and packed the things I had to pack and was out the door the usual time. The drop-offs were no problem and I stopped at the gyro place for a gyro, which they forgot to put spices on and wow was it bland without the spices. Well, now I know. 

I found a fair amount of packing stuff on the way back and was back here around 8. There's a very definite feel of change in the weather like summer is behind us. I looked up the summer solstice when I got back here and it was back on June 20th. I guess what I feel is a combination of the weather cooling off a little and the days getting shorter. 

I'm done with the Morris Berman blog. He'd reacted to one of the regulars posting some news article about the US shooting team being sponsored for ammunition makers (to the tune of their getting *some* for free; this is not a big-money sport) and he seemed incredulous that shooting is in the Olympics. So I did a post pointing out that the founder of the modern Olympics was a competitive shooter, and that our rifle shooters are a genteel and sportsmanlike bunch, and apparently that doesn't square with Berman's worldview. 

So, to be alright in Berman's world, you have to make yourself believe that facts, such as that Pierre de Coubertin, who did in fact found the modern Olympics, never did so. And certainly never put shooting in because it was quite a popular sport in his day. 

I'm coming around to realize that to him, if you're in the US and didn't just step off a boat last week, you're an utter bounder with no redeeming qualities, and if you can't immediately skedaddle to, say, Mexico City where you can live in air-conditioned splendor with frequent air travel, well, you're a buffoon. 

His one good idea may be that of the "new monastic individual" but as the saying goes, in this case, "what is good is not original, and what is original is not good". The problem here is "individual". I actually looked the full term up on Google and it appears Berman's ideas are most popular among conservatives. Of course they want everyone to withdraw past the hyper-individuality we already suffer under. 

Isn't that the dream of followers of Ayn Rand? Withdraw, don't do anything for anyone w/o extracting a price, that'll show 'em! It's no wonder there's so much contempt for Chris Hedges (who's actually gone out into the world and been shot at etc.), Food Not Bombs, any charity whatsoever in fact. There are also continual digs at anyone or anything that doesn't exalt the ideal of white, male, straight, lone-hero myth. 

In other words it's a thinly-disguised conservative blog. He can't go straight ahead rah-rah for the Right end of the Republican party because that would be too obvious and besides, there are plenty doing that. He'd get drowned in the noise. But pass himself off as this "cool" guy who only cheers for Trump ironically, and he might have actually snagged a few votes for Trump. 

And what's it going to cost him if his idol's January 6th coup had succeeded? His largest footprint is in conservative circles, and he's safely out of the US. He can thumb his nose at anyone here in the US who doesn't have the minimum quarter-million dollars it takes to leave, and write them off as "buffoons". 

Ken came by and brought my favorite kind of things to list on Ebay - small things. He wrote me my check and we hung out for a while, and I noted how I can really tell how the weather's changing to autumn, and he said he'd actually been cold at work the other day. 

I tried out my new coffee pourer thing and it seems to work fine, making a super-dark cup of French Market chicory coffee.  Despite drinking this mud, my headache seems to be pretty much gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stealth

 This: https://www.wweek.com/news/2024/05/16/jewish-student-at-reed-college-is-struck-with-rock-a-day-after-vandalism-of-religious-symbol/ I...