Friday, August 14, 2020

Yeasty wonders

 My blowoff tube setup worked fine overnight and I've got that brew back on a regular airlock now. We seem to be heading into a "historic" heat wave so that's going to make my little fermentation hobby interesting. The first batch is only fermenting a tiny bit and is clarifying itself. The 2nd one is bubbling about every 2 seconds and is sitting in a big bowl of water in the hopes of lowering its temperature a few degrees.

A heat wave means possible power outages, and they want us to use "major appliances" at night when the demand's lower. I'm glad I did all my label-printing last night because my printer does use a little juice. 

I'll have to cook fresh foods that I've got in the freezer, salmon and beef, so if there's a long outage I'll lose less. 

Last night, besides packing stuff, was another episode of Winds Of War and vodka. Why would WWII movies be so comforting? I think it's because the goal was very clear-cut. Everyone was pretty much on the same sheet of music. Some parts of it were not very comforting though, like the Americans and other neutrals (at that time) fleeing Germany and the general difficulties of passports or lack thereof. As I write an American passport has become just about useless, as very few countries will allow Americans in. 

I have theorized in the past that ideally, if the US is going to sink further into Fascism, the rest of the world will wall it off sort of the way South Africa was treated. And now I'm seeing the beginning of this. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have sciatica, just walk a bunch of miles

 I was up around 10, and had time to list the 12 things I'd gotten ready last night, and didn't have to pack anything because I was ...