Friday, August 28, 2020

Elululululululul.....

 This is the month of Elul on the Jewish calendar. It's a month one is supposed to blow or hear the shofar every morning. Hm! I'd have to "do mornings" again which will take some adjustment. Also, it's a month of taking stock, minimizing, etc. Interestingly, for me, this time, basically the month of August, has been a time I've moved or changed things somehow. This year it's getting back to keto dieting, re-dedicating myself to the trumpet, etc. 

Maybe someday I'll fly El-Al during Elul. 

Up at 3 today. I had my coffee, finished packing the things I'd set up and found and packed a few more, and was out the door at 6. On my way to the post office, I looked at the little hillside where I planned to pick more purslane, and it'd been mowed. I was so miffed about that that after dropping off the packages I rode around the block to see if any more was growing but didn't find any. In fact all I found for packing materials was one little box, and all I found that I felt like messing with for veggies was one bundle of cilantro. 

I got back here and cooked something interesting. That "jicama" I'd picked up a few days ago is really a "Okinawan purple yam" and can be cooked like any other yam, despite actually being a member of the morning glory family. I diced it up small and fried it in butter and oil, then added scrambled eggs and ended up with something that looked really weird because the purple yam pieces get purpler when cooked, almost black, and the dye started to make the eggs greyish-purplish too. It tasted good though. I followed that up with a nice big salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have sciatica, just walk a bunch of miles

 I was up around 10, and had time to list the 12 things I'd gotten ready last night, and didn't have to pack anything because I was ...