Thursday, August 20, 2020

Back on rocket fuel?

Besides the fish and the can of beer yesterday, I'd also gotten a little 200ml bottle of the "rocket fuel" Chinese white liquor that's about 112 proof, to go to sleep on. 

I'd found myself up until 7AM, drank my rocket fuel, at least watered down, and did I ever sleep. I woke up a bit past 4. 

From Reddit I've learned that Santa Cruz is getting hit by fires now. It sounds really bad, and about 25,000 people are being evacuated. Who knows when I'll go there again; certainly not soon because of the fires and who knows how long the virus will be a factor. I predict the 1918 flu will turn out to be a pretty good model, and that went on for three years before burning out. 

I needed an hour at least to have my coffee, vitamins, and nuts and so I skipped going to the post office today. I have a good load packed already but getting the rest of the things that need to be mailed by tomorrow won't be that much more since it's all small things. 

I took off for H Mart at a little after 7. As I rode by the storage place at the end of Junction Avenue, there was bums with their bum-cars moving or something. As I rode by the pickup truck, a dog inside it started to yap at me, and then after I'd passed the truck seemed to follow me and passed me and then stopped. Great, I thought, the guy's pissed off because his dog's yapping at me. I moved up onto the curb and considered a route that would take me through some parking lots, making me hard to follow. Needless to say I had my 'tunker' with me, the long bolt wrapped in tape. But, the bum in the truck was just waiting for his bum-ess friend in a car, and called out the window to her that she should follow or some such thing. They trundled off in the direction of Rogers Avenue. 

It was actually rather nice outside. Brown clouds all around, but the actual area had nice blue air instead of the brown stuff I had to breathe yesterday, and it was nice and cool too. At H Mart I got a bottle of "Chinese lightning" and a pint can of beer and some other stuff, including a "yellowfin steak" that was a pound of fish for $3. I was going to get some kind of ready-made thing to eat with my beer, but this intrigued me. 

On the way back a bum riding a cruiser bike who'd been coming the other way, circled around and started to follow me. I wiggled the 'tunker' a bit in my hand and started to plan how I was going to deal with this guy; probably try to get over to Fry's where there are tons of cameras, when I saw him angle off into the bum camp along Coyote Creek. Maybe that was all he was doing all along; going home? 

I'd really only wanted to do a quick out and back trip, so I considered just riding home using Rogers Avenue, then I thought, Wait a minute, that's where those bums were headed toward. So I went back the way I'd come, through the complex Foxconn is in. Interestingly, some kind of really huge building is being built along the freeway and the only way to get a good view of it is from the Foxconn parking lot. It will be interesting to see what it will be. 

I trimmed the fish, putting half in the freezer and tossing the skin and bones out for the birds, and simmered it with garlic, ginger, and a little of the beer and when it was done added 3 pats of butter. It came out pretty well, It's a very dry fish, and that's probably why it's so inexpensive in an Asian market, where oily fish and even fatty fish like "milkfish" are highly valued. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have sciatica, just walk a bunch of miles

 I was up around 10, and had time to list the 12 things I'd gotten ready last night, and didn't have to pack anything because I was ...