Sunday, August 23, 2020

All down the terlet

I woke up at 6 in the evening, approximately. Once I crawled out of bed and looked at my desk, I saw that I'd drank more of the little bottle of vodka I'd rationed some out into, than I remembered. I also felt awful. 

I had a feeling I'd become disgusted by this hobby, and this was when this happened. I dumped all my brews down the toilet. For drinking purposes, if I must, there's $13 a handle vodka from the drug store. I'm not sure if it's good or just less nasty than the Chinese stuff I'd been drinking. 

The brewing had been taking up too much time and space here. Besides here survival things like cooking and laundry, and my Ebay work, there's not a lot of time left so I can maintain one hobby. If I'm brewing, I don't have time to also play trumpet. If I decide I'm going to do art, then likewise that will be the one hobby. 

Two things have struck me lately: Firstly, when I was out playing in support of the protests and playing in general, not looking for tips but just out playing, boy did people not care. An exception was Japantown, but still, with the virus running rampant, busking is not going to be practical. And I've recently read that playing the trumpet is as bad for spreading germs as yelling, singing, or coughing. In other words, it's about as germy a thing as one can do. 

To think that I was making such good money playing at Whole Foods that I was contemplating leaving here and getting my own place and just playing trumpet from here on out. How times have changed...

Art's got a fair amount going for it. I'm under an effective non-compete clause with regard to selling on Ebay, but I could sell it on Etsy. I could also go on Reddit. In fact there are tons of ways to sell art, and not only that but for some reason there are all these weird but cool living arrangements for artists that are inexpensive. It's almost like if you're a musician and living in a commercial space or something that's bad but if you're an artist and doing the same it's OK. 

Another thing art could do for me is, I have a sequence of things in mind that pretty much go: Learn Hebrew, then convert to Reform Judaism so I can be part of the Cool People(tm) then retire in Israel where the Cool Stuff(tm) is. The first step, learning Hebrew, seems like it ought to be the last. But if I don't learn Hebrew my conversion will be kinda meh and living in Israel will probably be a fail. My copious research has shown this, that immigrants who just stick with English tend to end up unhappy there. 

Where art would help tremendously with this is, I can do art pieces with Hebrew words and this will keep me studying it. I can make those little signs with inspiring sayings on them and donate a steady stream of them to the local temple for their gift shop. If I'm converting I'll have to join the temple of course, and that costs. But if I'm donating art and it sells well, that ought to help.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have sciatica, just walk a bunch of miles

 I was up around 10, and had time to list the 12 things I'd gotten ready last night, and didn't have to pack anything because I was ...