Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Ammo'd up

 I meant to get up by noon and ride over to Bullseye Bishop. Instead, I was up at about 1 but really had a hard time getting going, and was out the door at something like 4:30. That's OK, I thought, since they're open until 7. 

It was a fairly pleasant ride, over to Whole Foods where I got some walnuts and a little package of falafel with tahini, which I ate over at Diridon Station. Then I rode over to Bird avenue and down to Minnesota, yadda yadda over to Bullseye. 

The sign said CLOSED. Rats, I thought, at least I got a good long ride in, but then some people went in. They just had the sign turned around. I got my clipboard with my just under $100 order for ammo printout, and went on in. It took almost as long as it did to buy the Glock, because the place was really busy and they had 5 or 6 guys all working, rushing around. Their "Wall-O-Guns" was bare except for one, there were a few high-end shotguns back in a corner, and their display case for pistols was empty. Nuts. 

After much paperwork and dithering around, I got my ammo and took off. By this time I was hungry again and after riding back along Minnesota a bit I turned onto Lincoln. There was a Pizza My Heart there but I wanted to see what else was in that little downtown area, and before I knew it I was out the other end and decided to ride up Willow and see if it goes out to Monterey. Maybe it does, too, but it looked like freeway onramps eventually and I meandered around finding my way back to Bird. 

My mind was going around in circles ... I was hungry but I wanted to pick up some "Sugar In The Raw" from Whole Foods but I was hungry and nothing Whole Foods has ready to go appealed to me ... I ended up going to Lee's on Santa Clara then deciding that I really felt like a slice from Pizza My Heart. 

So I rode up 4th and picked up a little bottle of Tide laundry detergent someone had tossed out and at least $20 worth of bike tubes, then passed Bike Express and down 3rd to Pizza My Heart and got a $6 slice of "Big Sur" and went and ate it at the college. They serve up a good slice! And it was nice and peaceful sitting under the trees, seeing and hearing the dog-walkers and frisbee throwers and students and perhaps some profs walking by speaking foreign languages. 

The trip back yielded a ripe artichoke head full of seeds to put into my seed bank, The Fellowship Of The Ring by Tolkien in beat-up paperback edition, and "Encore Provence" by Peter Mayle which may be like "French Revolutions" without the bicycles. 

I had a look at the ammo, eventually. It's ... 147-grain so a heavy bullet, but ... subsonic? No wonder it was still available. I'm sure it's ... good enough. And I've got 100 rounds of full metal jacket I can turn into hollowpoints once I make a jig. And so, I have enough ammo and don't need to worry about that any more. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have sciatica, just walk a bunch of miles

 I was up around 10, and had time to list the 12 things I'd gotten ready last night, and didn't have to pack anything because I was ...