Saturday, August 15, 2020

Happy Science Experiment

 Up at a bit after 3. I managed to get some Ebay items listed last night that I'd had "staged" for far too long. I also started up another brew, this one with a little bit of fresh peach I boiled down and strained, and a little bottle of sour cherry juice? concentrate? I bought for $2.50 at Whole Foods. 

I set this one up with a pretty decent blowoff tube system I made, and it's bubbling away happily, the one that foamed up so much is on a regular airlock now and going along, and the first one had stopped doing anything at all so I "racked" it into a couple of 1-liter green bottles that original held fizzy water from Whole Foods. I also drank some, and it's pretty decent. 

This is becoming less about being able to make alcohol to distill, and more about being able to drink wine for about $1.50 a gallon. 

I was supposed to pick up my bike wheel today and started out to do so, but on the way got the idea in my mind I may not have locked the shop door, so decided on a quick out and back trip to Nijiya. I tossed a bag of trash, too, and got rid of some bottles. At Nijiya I got some eggs, fried fish, fish cakes, and a bottle of Kirin Ichiban beer, and rode right back here where the door was locked properly after all. 

I ate my fish and drank my beer, watched stuff on YouTube and the usual stuff around here. I got wondering why one of my ferment bottles had a real "yeast dance" going on but the airlock wasn't bubbling at all. I finally figured out that I needed to wrap some Teflon(tm) tape around the stem of it where it goes into the hole I'd carved into the cap with an X-Acto knife. 

I'd bought some Swiss cheese at Nijiya also, and when I decided to have some as a snack, discovered it was going moldy so I had to cut about 1/3 off and tossed that out for the birds. 

I also decided to try setting up a tomato wine? cider? I found a recipe for tomato wine and cooked down the tomatoes I had around here because I was getting tired of eating them all the time and they actually have a fair amount of sugar in them. So I've got that going with the blowoff tube on that jug. 

On Reddit they've been talking about a lot of power outages, but I'm guessing that's more in residential areas because more people are working from home and will run their A/C that much more, where in this area electrical use is probably down a bit. 

I was putting Ebay things away and kept hearing what sounded like someone in the complex rolling their roll-up door but there's no one around. Then I heard a few patters of large rain drops. I looked outside and there was thunder and lightning going in. I got to see some really neat big bolts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The spirit of Meyer Lansky lives

 Last night I got 12 things ready to list but then it was 11:30 and because of my "no work after midnight" rule, I put them in a b...