Tuesday, August 18, 2020

Street Veggies

Up at 3:30. I'd stayed up, having that 3rd coffee, to get eBay listings in, and had taken some time photographing these 3 large microscopes I wanted to get listed and thus out of the office, when I realized, doing my price research, that as whole 'scopes we'd be lucky to get $100 each, but a lot of the parts like objective lenses etc. go for as much as $100 each. So I didn't list them, and will part them out. 

I was up until 7AM at least, and actually walked up to the lunch truck, at this hour a breakfast truck, and got a sausage and egg sandwich for $3 and wolfed that down. 

Then, to get sleepy, I had a couple of mugs of my home brew with ice. 

When I woke up I realized I probably didn't have time to run over to the wine place and get some more yeast, but if I got going after having my coffee and vitamins and walnuts etc., I could get over to La Dolce Velo and pick up the front wheel. So I did that, and since I had to carry the wheel on my bike of course, put yellow tape I'd brought around the rim so in case I had to put it down it would not get scratched, and a layer on the left handlebar which I hung it off of. 

Near a beer place that advertises "growlers" there was a box with veggies and junk and I picked up some celery and some very dirty radishes, but I love the things and they'll clean right up. So maybe $5 worth of veggies. I'm really surprised how many street veggies I find. 

Then I went to Whole Foods and got some meatloaf, a tall can of PBR, a bottle of nigori sake, and a bottle of fizzy water. I went over to Diridon Station to sit at my usual spot by the baggage building, and had a nice little picnic. I was joined by a wasp, who was really interested in my meatloaf but when he tasted a bit of the tomato sauce, took off. He was soon back, though, and I put a little piece a distance away and he and the ants had a grand old time. There was purslane growing there and so it was meatloaf, beer, and a bit of purslane.  

During my picnic, a guy walked by with a classic bandage on his head, white gauze wound around and around like a big headband. "Ya hurt your head?" I asked. "I was hit with a bottle", he said. "You go to the hospital?" I asked, and he said he'd gotten X number of stitches, a pretty large number. "At least they stitched you up!" I said. He asked if I smoked, and I said I'd never taken up that hobby. I'd dropped off boxes of pain killers at the blessing boxes but didn't have any more to give him, and he wandered off, going wherever a (possibly) homeless guy goes with a big bandage on their head. At least for now the doctors are still stitching people up. 

The ride home was uneventful other than that, on 10th street, I ended up following a fat gal on a bike, going slowly as we both were, in the wind. When we passed a long parking lot I was able to go onto that and race past her, and she called out, "Hey! Hey! Hellooooo!" and of course I ignored her. Leave the zombies to their zombie business, that's what I say. 

The wheel turns out to be usable, but is not really what I'd have ordered. It's made for a bike with a coaster or rear-only brake, so I'll have to sand off the black paint on the part brake pads would work against. I'm not going to return it though because it being the end times and all, it might be the last new wheel I'll ever be able to obtain. So I'm just going to put the new tire and tube on the old front wheel which still has some miles on it, and keep this one for later.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The spirit of Meyer Lansky lives

 Last night I got 12 things ready to list but then it was 11:30 and because of my "no work after midnight" rule, I put them in a b...