Monday, August 10, 2020

Vodka is not a good idea

Up a little past 3. I got some things prepped (90% packed) last night and again, read a ton on fermenting and distilling. 

Then I had the bright idea to drink some vodka, thinking it would get me right to sleep. Instead, it actually made me more awake. I probably drank about 200ml; I need to get some decent volumetric glassware set aside for personal use. So when I woke up my neck hurt like I'd been sleeping with my head in a funny position, and felt crappy. Since it was a bit past 3, I got dressed and walked out to the lunch truck and got some chicken wings, had coffee and vitamins too. 

I"m beginning to think that learning distilling to make alcohol to use around here as a cleaner, may not be worth the effort unless it becomes a case where alcohol can't be obtained otherwise. I'm pretty sure I can buy 99% ethanol from a Mexican market called Chaparral for $10 a bottle or so and that's cheaper than  I can make it. But experimenting with making various wines and ciders might be a lot of fun.

I thought I'd get a call from Bullseye Bishop but maybe there's no appointment, necessarily, to pick up ammo. I'll just ride over there tomorrow. 

I finished off the Ebay packages and was out the door just a bit after 6, and the ride up to the post office was really uneventful. I picked up I don't know, at least 5, but I think closer to 8 or 10, lbs of tomatoes behind H Mart and a few zucchinis from the dumpster by Grill-'Em. I had a nice tomato and zucchini salad when I got back here, with my own dressing that I make with oil, vinegar, etc. One of the best things I've bought lately is a bottle of Heinz apple cider vinegar; the stuff goes a long way and tastes great. 

I've also found I like merlitons/chayotes which are a member of the cucumber/squash family. They don't taste like much, but are crunchy and pretty good raw. The kernel of the seed, fried, tastes like a potato but more so. So I'm not turning my nose up at those when I come across them either. They look so funny, and cost a bit so I'd never bought one to try, but when veggies are free it's a whole different story. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Another day of craziness

 Still no word from my older sister. I woke up a bit before noon, maybe 11, and lay in bed thinking about the situation. When I was a young ...