Thursday, August 13, 2020

Like a hurricane

 Up at ... 3 maybe? Did the finishing touches on some packages, had coffee etc., and did my post office and FedEx run but swung by the wine place first and got another packet of yeast and two more air locks. I didn't find any veggies on the way back but  I did find a lot of cold pills, aspirin etc., tossed out by this company that makes up emergency kits for companies. I also got some medical batteries etc to put in Ebay. 

I got back here, dropped off the stuff and the trailer, and went back up to H Mart where I got the cheapest sugar they had, some C+H "Baker's" sugar that's just regular sugar just ground extra fine, some beef and salmon, some dried/seasoned teeny tiny anchovies (they go great with beer) and a cheap Hawaiian beer. 

I stopped at the egg-shaped robot place and had beer and tiny fishies, and it was pretty good. I only ate half of them so ... some for later. 

I got back here and cooked up some scrambled eggs and fried tomato, which was pretty good. Fried tomato is part of a traditional English "fry up" but somehow it never became a custom here, at least on the West Coast where it would actually make sense. 

I tried to think of what I could do that's useful before Ken shows up, and what I did was set up a gallon jug of 1 lb sugar, my two bottles of fruit syrup I'd made, and the second half of that first package of yeast. I even did things properly, putting the yeast in a little bowl of warm water with sugar first. I managed to cut my finger with the X-Acto knife when I was making a hole in the cap for an air lock, too. 

I'd just settled down with a cup of coffee and one of ice water when Ken showed up. He was in fine form, having bought a big double rack of equipment that he wanted to put in here, or something. I came up with the idea of taking the goodies out of it, then he can take the rack to his work, where he might ultimately use it. So the next hour or two, maybe closer to three? - were taken up messing around with this thing, re-arranging things in the warehouse to accommodate the things taken out of the rack, etc. 

Finally Ken needed to take a break and have some ice water and "something with sugar". He had a soda in his truck, and I fixed him up with ice water but since my 2nd cup was full of coffee and I didn't have anything else with a mouth big enough for ice cubes, I ended up putting the last of my ice in a bowl and telling him to put the soda in that and just drink from the bowl. That actually worked OK. 

In the end, he moved the emptied rack we'd taken all this heavy stuff out of, into the warehouse for now because he's going off on vacation for a week or two and needs to return the trailer to Dahl's tomorrow morning. It's blocking a couple of drawers I had tape and labels and stuff in but I took that stuff out in time. 

The guy's like a hurricane. As I told his wife once, "He has no off switch". Maybe that's why he makes so much more than I ever did in tech, although I think it was more a matter of being born early enough that he was around when hard work got you somewhere. I just feel like, "Whew, he's gone for a while". 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have sciatica, just walk a bunch of miles

 I was up around 10, and had time to list the 12 things I'd gotten ready last night, and didn't have to pack anything because I was ...