Saturday, August 22, 2026

$104 Saturday

 It's amazing how much time the supposedly half-time work for Ken actually takes up. 

I was up last night taking a few things apart, one of them being a vintage oscilloscope and those take forever. But I have lots of parts to list now. 

I practiced before bed, and one of the last things before going to sleep was hearing the boss guy of the cleaning place, who drives a red pickup truck, picking up the boxes of scrap I'd left out and loading them up. When I got up, I found only the round CRT left, and my two taped-together beer boxes, clean and ready to use again. I'll probably just list the CRT on Ebay as it's not as large and hard to ship as some. 

I got out of here around 4:30, rode right over to Whole Foods and put $10 on my clipper card, got a couple of beef sticks, and walked over to the bus stop. The #522 came in a short time and although I checked the time and found that it was around 5:30 when I was waiting, I got to the Sunnyvale Whole Foods in time to start busking at 6:45. 

It went pretty well. There were lots of people which helps, and the tips came in pretty regularly. After about an hour one of the local crazy guys came around and made noises, while I just kept playing 'Wonderful World' at good volume while watching the crazy out of the corner of my eye, and as he went into Whole Foods* and looked back my way, I just happened to have had to adjust my pepper spray by taking it out of my pocket to reposition it, and he just happened to see it. He didn't come back. 

*Sunnyvale's Whole Foods has an indoor area with tables, and the area is a magnet for relaxing shoppers, crazies, bums, nerds, various small clubs, exhausted moms with over-excited kids; the whole gamut. Mr. Bum likely went in to hang out there.  

Once it was 8:15 I packed up and counted up - I'd made $104 which is at least nearly my record for tips without someone dropping a $100. I'd had 3 people drop a $20 and also got a $10 and a few $5's along with of course a bunch of $1's so it's not hard to do with those $20's. 

Given these days that if you go into McBlecchs for a burger, fries, and a drink you're busting $20, those $20's are not that big to a lot of people. 

One of the $5's was from a couple of young guys who wanted me to try the theme from the movie "Lala Land". I said I don't know it but if he pulls it up on his phone I'll try it. He did, and I did, and we had a bit of a laugh, and I said I'll look it up on YouTube and see if it's a good one for me to learn. 

I walked back out to Baraka Market and they were having the first busy day I'd seen. I got my yogurt drink and some olives and walked out to the bus. And the #522 showed up in a short time so it was pretty easy to get back to my home Whole Foods and do a bit of shopping.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

$104 Saturday

 It's amazing how much time the supposedly half-time work for Ken actually takes up.  I was up last night taking a few things apart, one...