Ken didn't come by last night. I channeled my nervous energy into putting all the things I'd listed for this month, basically, away. It was a lot of things.
Once it was clear he wasn't coming by, I got 20 things camera-ready, which also took up some time since I had to *wash* some circuit boards.
Then I got to work getting 24 things together that were all one order, putting them in a box with the sheet of notebook paper I'd written down each thing on and how much shipping there was on it.
After all this, I settled down and got a good practice session in. The high notes were working quite well, so I was pretty happy and eventually went to bed around 8AM.
I woke up at 4PM, had breakfast and coffee, and packed the one big order and had time to find one circuit board that really ought to go out today and which I thought I'd have to do a lengthy search for. It turned out to be easy to find and I packed it up and took off for the post office etc.
I dropped off the two big boxes (I also had packed some BIG resistors for a guy) at FedEx and went over to the post office.
I was leaving the post office, headed for 99 Ranch and waiting for the light on Brokaw when, as the light changed for cross traffic, a car went by and someone in it yelled something incoherent at me. Normally I'd worry but this person looked like a bum, and the car looked like it had been in several accidents and then hammered back into car-shape with an actual hammer.
I have no idea what this creature was trying to say. I've mentioned how the underclass talks in what might as well be a different language, a sort of muttered mumbled yowling that I can't make head or tail of. I've had bums holding a conversation right outside the roll-up door here, which meant I could listen from inside, only a few feet from them, and I was still not able to understand what the hell they were talking about.
So this bum in the bum-car, being driven by another bum, was angry at me, I think, for some reason. It seems some loud expletive was uttered, something the equivalent of "FUCK YOU!" but it was not any word in any language I know of. I don't know if the bum thought I was someone else, or what. I take care to not interact with bums because they are dangerous to anyone foolish enough to get close, friend or foe.
I sallied into the parking lot of 99 Ranch and was just pulling into where I park, where the notice board used to be which is a nice sort of niche to park my bike and trailer, when, as I was coming in, I saw at once *another* bum, shirtless and filthy, calling out to the occupants of a bum-truck, likewise filthy, that was driving through the parking lot. The first bum kept yelling something about "WHITE MAN" and I thought they knew each other.
The bum appeared to follow the truck on its way out, and I thought, Good, they'll go fight or do a drug deal or whatever's up, and I'll have time to go in and shop. I went in an got boiled peanuts and a couple other things, and went back out. The bum was now sitting at one of the tables outside the "Bamboo" coffee shop. Lovely.
I made the mistake of looking over at the bum as I rode out of there and it yelled some incoherent blather at me. It was quite a day for bums.
I went over to H Mart and got a can of coffee and settled down to enjoy my boiled peanuts. I also called Ken and he's back from vacation. I said, "I didn't see you last night" and he said, "I was probably over Canada then". I'll see him again next week.
It's good to know he's still alive and everything's OK. I figure things might get pretty dodgy as time goes on, but all I have to last out now is another year.
No comments:
Post a Comment