Tuesday, March 8, 2022

More surprises

 311th day sober. I practiced last night an hour on the flute headjoint and another half hour working on the first simple tunes in the Wye book. The notes B-A-G. 

I also pre-packed 21 things so it was a pretty busy night. I went to bed not sure if I'd get up early enough but that was no problem since the delivery man with the order of tape Ken had ordered had come. Instead of 1 box of brown and 2 of clear, he'd bought 2 of brown and 1-1/2, for some reason, of clear. But with the people on the other side of the complex throwing out mostly-used rolls of clear, I've not used tape Ken paid for for a week. 

We got another notice from the building owner too - Ken's been underpaying the rent for some reason. I don't know if he's in financial trouble or what. And here I've sold off all my trumpet stuff, stuff I can use to "fend for myself" if needed. And I'm not ready to "fend for myself" on the flute yet. 

So because of the delivery I was up at 2 in the afternoon and had plenty of time to pack 4 more things and take them to the post office and FedEx. I tried the toriyaki appetizer from "Tokyo Sushi" on my way back from the post office and it was very meh. 

After I was done at FedEx, I went around back to look for boxes and things, and being the Baja Fresh where I usually pick up a box or two, there was a bum with some boxes of stuff and who saw me coming and said, "Security?" I decided to just keep going - only the bum knows if he was asking me if I was "security" or if the car coming up behind me was. 

I stopped at the storage unit and pulled out some things to list. Then I picked up some packing stuff from Sanmina, and circled around to visit Tom. He hasn't messed with the Sony speaker thing I gave him but that's better than hearing he did, and it doesn't work for him for some reason. We talked a bit and he said he had to get to bed. He says he gets up at "5 or 6" so it makes sense he'd want to go to bed by 9 or so. It was a bit after 8 and he'd want to get his drink on, generally cheap E&J brandy I believe, washed down with some of the Budweiser 12-pack he was staying close to. 

I keep going back and forth regarding buying that Yamaha "Bobby Shew" trumpet. I've wanted one for years, ever since I heard a kid, really a high school kid, playing one with a band in San Pedro Square. I got to talk to him and I said his playing was great (it was; not only good highs but wonderful lows) and he said his trumpet was an early model, a prototype really, of the "Shew Horn".  

Last night I thought, I ought to go over to the music store and ask to *try* one. At least I'd know what it feels like to play one. My playing on a student Yamaha is recent enough that I'd have a good gauge of how different the "Shew" horn might be.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Starting my Sunday the right way

 By sending $50 to the Harris campaign, of course!  I got a little practice in last night, and also had an interesting thing happen. The dum...