Sunday, March 27, 2022

Craigslist working again?

 340th day sober. At 4AM after putting actual cork corks on the trumpet, I realized I needed to get some sleep. So I went to bed and woke up around 8, then woke up again at 11 - right when the lady was supposed to show up to buy the clarinet. 

She'd not called, nor emailed. I packed my bedding away and had the clarinet out all ready to show, and checked Ebay stuff. Pretty soon I got a call from her, she was right out front. It was really easy. Her daughter had been playing a year so she knows how to assemble one and care for it, and they're realized how expensive renting was. She said between her daughter on clarinet and her son on trumpet and the dog, it was quite a noisy household. She handed over $200 and that was that. 

I put half in savings, of course. It was an amazingly easy Craigslist sale. 

I had my coffee and nuts for breakfast and headed out at almost 1. It was far too windy to consider busking so I didn't bring the trumpet. First I went to Dai Thanh for coffee, ginger, and got a lemon fizzy water. I was going to get something to eat at Da Kao and they're closed! That was such a great place. I am actually sad. How was I to know that the two chicken skewers I got there last week would be my last meal there? When the world is running down .... 

I contemplated going to Whole Foods, my perpetual hangout, because I can pick out a keto-friendly lunch there. But on the way I changed my plan and rode over to Recycle Book Store and locked the bike, and walked over to Five Guys and had a burger, not eating the bun of course. That one, on the Alameda, has the free roasted peanuts in the shell which I didn't eat any of, but it's neat that they're there. 

I went back over to the book store and looked through their wall of DVDs. I picked out The Gods Must Be Crazy I & II and Lilo & Stitch. 

Then I started riding toward central downtown, but South a bit, and wandered around some neat funky little streets and found myself at Black & Brown. They've been my go-to for Doc Marten shoes so I went in but they didn't have any my size and had hardly any at all. Hmm. 

I got back on track to Market Street and took that down to where it joins Monterey and down to the Wal-Mart Big-5 complex. One of my "Bear Paw" fake Ugg books has a big crack in the side of the sole, and this is  the time of year to buy new ones. I looked through their wall of 'em and found some exactly the same kind/color/size as the ones I have. $75, oh well, that's life, I figured. But at the checkout they were $50-odd. The old Big-5 surprise discount. I love that place. 

I'd been fighting the wind like crazy all through this trip, as I was heading largely West and South. But now it was time to go home, mostly North and a bit East. So the ride home was really nice. I stopped at Nijiya and got some beef on sale, eggs, cucumber pickles, etc. 

On my way back on 10th, just before crossing the railroad tracks, I thought I saw/heard some little white pieces of paper blowing toward me on the street. They were two teeny white terrier dogs, and they were out for blood! It was hilarious! The little guys could really fun fast, and I said, "Chase the bike! Chase the bike!" to see if I could get them to follow me really far. But they stopped at the railroad tracks. Oh, well. 

As I passed the scrap metal place, I saw a bum with a bike and trailer, digging in the dumpster there. I said to him that if he goes up the way I came, he'll get chased by little terrier dogs. He said he didn't know the scrap places was closed, lost track of what day it is (Sunday) and did I have anything "like some water"? I said in fact I did, as I'd only taken a little drink from the lemon fizzy water and I handed it over. 

I got back here put things away yadda yadda. Tomorrow's supposed to feature rain and possibly lightning so it will be a day to stay in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Starting my Sunday the right way

 By sending $50 to the Harris campaign, of course!  I got a little practice in last night, and also had an interesting thing happen. The dum...