Tuesday, March 15, 2022

Get it while you can

 318th day sober. I got back from my adventures yesterday, and after putting things away I packed three large things and took them up to FedEx at almost 7. I stopped on the way back to pick up a bag of packing material that Tom's next door neighbors toss out every Monday, and to hang out with Tom a bit. 

I told him about my change-over of equipment and reiterated that we have to go out busking together because once I get him hooked on it, he'll love doing it. 

I got back here and it was the usual futzing around. Before I knew it, it was past midnight so I didn't list anything, just had 2 oz. of macadamia nuts and a quarter stick of butter because I was hungry, and chewed gum for a while to get my mouth really clean, then did an hour of the octave exercise on the flute headjoint while watching a move and then went to bed at 2. 

I woke up at 8:30, decided to "relax" a bit then woke up again at about 10:20 so that was just right, actually. 

I have a Protec case coming in for the trumpet, and for the cornet, I looked around on Amazon for a while before ordering the cornet case I think I've been looking at for years. Cornet cases are not common! Protec makes one but they're out of stock. I'm getting a soft foam one that gets a lot of approval from parents for their cornet-playing children. If it's Mom Approved, it's gotta be good! At least good enough to carry a sturdy cornet like a King Master around. 

In fact, come to think of it, the one time I got on stage at Cafe Stritch, it was with the 1937 King Master which I had stuffed in my bike bag. The bag/case I have coming in will come to Ken's house so he'll bring it over. 

If I could learn it in a couple of days I'd bring the flute to play "Danny Boy" near O'Flaherty's on Thursday but I can't really as it's a lot of notes and I only know B-A-G right now, plus the playing position for flute is not one to do for hours when one is not used to it yet. So right now my plan is to take the cornet. 

I'm in sort of "get it while I can" mode, because I'm seeing things missing everywhere. I stumbled upon the "The Horn Guys" page last night and for a big brass dealer, they had hardly anything. Weird brands, weird horns, and very few of them. Where were the bread-and-butter Yamahas and Getzens? 

And the Yamaha 14B4 mouthpiece that, according to my research, came with my Bergeron trumpet, might as well be a unicorn. Some of the most cockamamie things are getting hard to get... 

I packed 13 small things to send out with me and took off for downtown at 2. First stop was the downtown post office where I dropped off the things. It was the usual zombie zoo in the park, of course. 

Then I rode over to Park Avenue and up to the music store. The tech wasn't in, and the guy who owns the store I guess (they're a "chain" of two stores) seemed to take it a bit personally that I still wanted the gen-u-wyne Yamaha spit valve corks. Which he couldn't find. I looked through the sale table for that 14-something mouthpiece I knew I'd held in my hand when I was there the other day. 

I mentioned wanting it because Yamaha included a 14B4 mouthpiece with the horn when it was new. I found the "14" I'd had my hands on, a 14A4A Schilke. So I got that one, what the hell. 

I considered, as I have so many times, trying the food at the Park Station Hashery next door, but it seems to be a very bro-y place and I'm not fond of those. So I rode back over to Whole Foods and got some pulled pork and broccoli and ate that upstairs. The bartender who was there the day recognized me and welcomed me with something like "It's nice to see you back". A couple came in with the exact same dog as in the "For Better Or Worse" comic in the newspapers. 

Then I just rode back here, checking the free libraries and picking up a couple of books to keep for a while and read. I put the bike away, put things away, and took some junk from "my" trash enclosure and stuck it into the dumpster, and picked up a few things. Last night, a zombie had some along, staggering and muttering and throwing things around, and had done the usual zombie things like take tons of stuff out of the dumpster and then put most of it back in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Starting my Sunday the right way

 By sending $50 to the Harris campaign, of course!  I got a little practice in last night, and also had an interesting thing happen. The dum...