Thursday, March 3, 2022

Get 'er done!

 305th day sober I guess. I think I've skipped a day. On Wednesday, I packed two big things in two moving boxes that someone had left out in one of the entrance ways of the complex. They've left out a lot of boxes and bubble wrap, so I "harvested" what I wanted and thought, What a neat thing, making shipping these two big things easy. 

The things were an oscilloscope and a flatbed UV light box sort of thing used for some kind of biomedical stuff. So I get up in time to pack those and stack them onto the bike trailer and those went to FedEx first, then I dropped off small things at the post office, and my main mission was done. 

I stopped to eat at the falafel place. They're super nice people but they continually seem to be trying to figure out how to run a restaurant. I got a gyro, which turned out to be a "wrap" instead the guy told me, which I said was fine with me, and they gave me a dollar off the yoghurt drink I bought too. I ate the meat and veggies and saved the bread part for the birds. 

I found a bunch of packing stuff to take home to the bike trailer was pretty stacked with stuff when I got back, put it all away, and got to work packing two *more* things to get Ken to take to FedEx the next day because it was going to rain and they could go inside his truck cab. 

I'd just finished putting things away and vacuuming the office floor when Ken came by. It was routine, he brought by some stuff to list and a bunch of boxes, he fiddly-futzed around with this manual lift we've got that has a leaky hydraulic cylinder he wants to replace, so he took measurements to make a piece to make things fit. And we settled down with tea for him and the yogurt drink for me and talked about stuff. And I got my check of course. 

We also fiddled around a bit with an oscilloscope I'd listed that appears to have a bad CRT. No luck there but I've listed it as-is with no trace anyway.

After he'd left, I got to work taking apart this microwave oven I'd found. I'd taken it back here thinking it was a toaster oven but nope, it was just a plain old microwave. I'd left it out by the dumpster enclosure but no one else wanted it, either. So I took it back in and took it apart, after testing to make sure it works so I can say the parts are good. It's easily $50 in parts from the magnetron to the 3 high-reliability microswitches from the door.

I also cleaned, checked out, labeled, etc the stuff Ken had brought by, and by the time I'd done all that I was pretty tired and decided I didn't want to list things because it was past 4AM. But now I had 20 things ready to go. 

I read stuff online and watched YouTube and pretty soon it was around 6AM. I was watching the radar map which looks like a lot of rain was coming. I began to think it might make sense to just stay up, and visit the bank at 9AM and take everything I can to the downtown post office on the way. 

So I stayed up, packed a couple more things that had sold that are small, and one thing that's not small at all but interestingly, Priority Mail was about half the cost of sending it FedEx and the box would just fit in one of my Whole Foods cloth bags I use so much. 

So I was out of here at 9AM, which was past the time the really frantic commuters are out, and the ride was really quite pleasant. The fearsome line of clouds that were on the radar map were there all right, but they were up high and I only saw a little virga coming down. 

It all went great. A nice rasta guy at the post office took the big package, everything added up to the penny at the bank, and as almost always it was a great day for a bike ride. 

After the post office I went to Whole Foods, where I'd planned to get all kinds of breakfast-y things from the hot bar, thinking of bacon and eggs and sausages. Unfortunately, that was not to be. I ended up taking a dollop of hummus and putting yoghurt sauce and feta cheese and kalamata olives and artichoke heart slices and Parmesan cheese and a good dollop of olive oil on top and that was my breakfast. 

I sat outside at a bench to eat. Some zombie with a skateboard came in from the street and sat down at another bench behind me. I didn't like him behind me like that so I moved to another bench further away where I could keep an eye on him and the damned zombie got up and walked over and said something about an electric rifle, ending with "thank you". I could only react with, "What?" and he said the same exact thing. I didn't say a word, just got up and went to a bench over by the other entrance, by the bike racks. 

After eating I went back in and did some serious shopping. I got all kinds of keto-friendly stuff including 3 kinds of canned tuna and an interesting big can of kippers and a round can of sardines that has a transparent top(!) so you can see the little fishies sleeping in there. It was about $60 worth of stuff. 

When I'd first done it, my initial trepidation about "going keto" was that it would be expensive. But I found that it wasn't any more expensive than my regular way of eating. I think some of it comes down to eating less - there's no longer snacking on a "Chinese donut" or a bag of interesting chips. Secondly, it makes a lot of restaurant food off limits. I can still get a gyro as long as I don't eat the bun, or Five Guys as long as I only eat the burger itself. But it really makes me lean much more toward eating at home. And, I have to keep reminding myself, it should really save on medical bills. 

After a pleasant few words with a worker sprinkling water on a display of herb plants by the bike racks, I took off, but had to double back. I usually ride out along the wide sidewalk so I can push the button for the walk signal but the corner was occupied by a zombie with a piled up shopping cart of crap and was waving his arms around and yelling at people. He'd been there when I came in. So I doubled back and went along on the street, out in the lane like a car, to avoid that particular zombie. 

I went over to the Amazon hub to pick up my two flute books and got a couple of useful boxes and a bubble mailer. And then rode on back here. 

I had a few pecans and some water and put things away and went to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Starting my Sunday the right way

 By sending $50 to the Harris campaign, of course!  I got a little practice in last night, and also had an interesting thing happen. The dum...