Wednesday, March 16, 2022

A screamer, me?

 319th day sober. I had Ebay stuff together to list and got a couple of things on, but then Ebay kept resetting and I had to keep entering photos, only to have the page reset and have to enter them again ... repeat to infinity. So fuck 'em. 

I did 45 minutes' octave exercise on the flute headjoint, then practiced on the cornet and on the trumpet for an hour while watching the 2nd hour of the old original black and white "On The Beach" since I'd just watched the 2000 version. 

The cornet, with the Bach 3B, certainly has an interesting sound, almost an "old timey" sound. The trumpet sounds great, of course, but I tried the Schilke 14A4A I'd just bought and amazingly, I think I like it. As mentioned, it originally shipped with a Yamaha 14B4 so I guess I'd like to find one of those, and there's a Wayne Bergeron mouthpiece made by another company but it's $100. On Trumpetherald, a trumpet site, there's a lot about how the Allen Vizzutti mouthpiece really works well with this model of trumpet and I might want to try one of those. 

I never thought I'd get along with a, if not "screamer" at least a "lead" mouthpiece, but I think I came out fine on that Schilke 14A4A and the guy at Park Avenue Music is kind of "competitive" in that it seems like he feels like he has to "win" in things. So I told him delightedly that the King Master cornet wasn't actually from the 1965-75 time frame but rather from the 1950s, I have a feeling that tweaked him a bit. Generally, quality in US made horns is felt to have gone down starting in the 60s. 

Likewise, I'm sure he was thinking, "Hee hee, I get to unload this small/shallow mouthpiece for cash for what I could get online, and I bet this guy can't handle it". But I can; it's nice. A lot of that is due to having such a nice trumpet to use it with. I might not be so happy with it with my old Yamaha student horn. 

I worked on "Danny Boy" and also a song called "Cockles And Mussels" which is also Irish. I'm pretty serious about my plan to do some busking playing those songs among others for St. Pat's Day tomorrow. 

When I was done playing I did some cleaning. The cornet was rank enough I took it apart and put it in a bucket of water with lots of Dawn overnight. The trumpet will need some attention too. I tried the little pull-through system I'd bought and wow, what a hunque of junque. I got all kinds of junk out of the leadpipe on the trumpet and finally just brushed it out really good with the "snake" from the Yamaha cleaning kit and rubbing alcohol. The tuning slide too. 

The leadpipe and tuning slide are where most of the junk ends up so if those are cleaned or swabbed every time after playing, a horn can stay really clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Starting my Sunday the right way

 By sending $50 to the Harris campaign, of course!  I got a little practice in last night, and also had an interesting thing happen. The dum...