Tuesday, September 8, 2026

What 95% of us do on Labor Day

 Yesterday I did what 95% of us do on Labor Day - labored. I got 30 things photo-ready, then realized I have a lot of shipping to get out, so I spent the night shipping things. 

All in preparation for today's plan, which was to get out of here by 4, with the small post office things, drop 'em off at the post office downtown, then deposit the $1600 check I'd gotten from Ken. That went great - Ken had goofed and dated the check for a month ago but I think checks are good for 90 days. 

Then I went down to Walmart and got things, and stopped at Nijiya on the way back for a Coke Zero and since they didn't have the baked cold mackerel I was hoping for, just got some salmon that looked good, to portion and freeze, and told myself I'll just have some pepitas with the coke. 

But then I got back I just wanted to get things done so I put things away and loaded up the big FedEx things and took them up there. I had a can of coffee and a couple of chocolate cookie things from the "Try Me" basket. 

I got back here and offloaded things, and loaded up the bike trailer with the stuff I'd left out last night. In addition, the guys had put in what I think is a starter motor, and a big power supply I'd never seen before. Gee, thanks, I think. 

I took it all out by the main road in my usual "free stuff" spot and took some big boxes and cardboard and junk that was there and put it into this one dumpster on the other side of the complex, that they've replaced with a bigger dumpster holding about 2X as much, so these days there's generally plenty of room. And got back in here. 

Before bed last night I'd practiced, and it went really well. I'm starting to get a feel for high notes and it's not a matter of pushing harder = higher. It's more a matter of getting a feel for them and the best way I can describe it is when you're sucking on a hard candy and you've got it down to a small streamlined piece and you have it in the front of your mouth to taste that last bit better. 

There are a million tutorials on high notes and trumpet playing in general on YouTube, especially if you show any interest in them, because then the algorithm serves up tons of them. I think each person has a method that works for them, personally, but while there are generalities that are always true like Don't use too much pressure and Always try for good tone, it's kind of up to each person to work out what works for them.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

What 95% of us do on Labor Day

 Yesterday I did what 95% of us do on Labor Day - labored. I got 30 things photo-ready, then realized I have a lot of shipping to get out, s...