I was up packing things, to get caught up. Lots of medium and large-ish things with one large thing to pack today left.
I went to bed around 6-7AM, OK all well and fine. Then I was awakened by a knock on the door and had to yell for them to wait a minute, while I moved the boxes and stuff I'd packed. It was a guy from the water company saying he has to work on the water and wanted to get an idea of what hours it's in use here. I said I'm generally here until 6 but "Hey, if you have to work on the water, you have to work on the water, don't worry about it".
I started my coffee routine, when I looked at the clock again and realized it was only 11:30. I thought it was a quarter to 3. So I turned the kettle off and spread my bedding out again and went back to sleep.
Then I was awakened, this time actually at a quarter to 3, by a phone call. It was some lady who's Doctor so-and-so from Psychology Today asking if I'd called them. "No.........." was my reply. She said something like Oops she'd gotten the digits wrong (that's easy to do with my phone number) and that was that. I wish I'd kept her on the line a bit. Psychology Today is still in print?? I know Boomers read the thing but, like, older Boomers who are Trump-old, like Ken's age.
Are magazine racks still even a thing in airports? Fry's Electronics had a glorious magazine rack for a while. It was great; all kinds of niche hobbyist magazines like High Power Rocketry, needless to say magazines about knitting and stuff, the sailing mags, all the computer/tech mags, plus lots of porn, all mixed together. If that was too erudite, there was the same organization in the DVD racks. I picked up a cop of "Restrepo" in the part with the Barney The Dinosaur stuff.
I'll have to look for magazines in the airport when I get outta here, just to see if they're still a thing.
Since it was now time to actually get up, thanks Psychology Today! - I re-started the kettle etc. and got going. The big thing I was dreading turned out to be a lot smaller than the photo made it look haha.
I got going to FedEx to drop off all the big/medium boxes, then the post office for the post office stuff, then went to H Mart for my iced coffee and hang out time on the curb in front with that and some spicy peanuts I'd brought from home.
I'd parked my bike + trailer how I always do, alongside the "curb" on the side of the building, lined up with the bike rack, which at this time had an adult bike and a kid's bike. I heard a mom say to her kid, something about "Thank our Lord Jesus Christ for yadda yadda...." and pretty soon they came. The kid's bike was blocked in by my bike and the mom's bike but all the mom had to do was move hers, which a normal person would first, then get the kid's bike. Her poor little son had to hear her bitch at me for parking my bike where I did, and I pretty much ignored her. Eventually she just unlocked her bike, then went to get her son's bike but he insisted on doing it himself - I'm sure he's already tired of her. They left, probably with her bitching at the kid all the way home.
H Mart is on the other side of Brokaw from some kind of church that has signs out, shows free movies etc. so it's kind of surprising there aren't more psychos from there wandering around, frankly.
I found some great packing stuff on the way home and got back here, had Korean "Gouda" cheese (which is every bit as awful as that sounds) and olives and a large cucumber for dinner, and got the place cleaned up for Ken. who showed up a bit late but better that than never.
The property owner's secretary had sent an email saying Ken needs to sign the new lease or we'll just go onto the month-to-month rent which is more, and I'd printed it out for Ken and also told her I'd get on him about it. So that's one of the things we talked about.
He'll either (a) sign the new, 4-year lease, or (b) won't, and he'll have to pay probably $500-$1000 more in rent than otherwise. In the case of (a) I just need to keep working, keep saving, and get ready to light out of here in one year minus about one week now. Or (b) keep working etc., and try to sit back and enjoy the show as Ken won't be able to pay the new rent probably, we'll fall behind, etc. I don't have to move back to Hawaii right when I reach age 65, I just think it's a neat and orderly time to do so. I can leave earlier...
No comments:
Post a Comment