In short, they stole an old B.O. smelling shirt from me.
I got up at 3 thanks to my alarm clock, had one thing packed that had to go, some stuff to donate like the coffee on sale that turns out to taste like dishwater, and I brought a long-sleeved sort of waffle-weave shirt I've had for something like 10 years now, and in need of a wash, frankly. That was for when it cooled down later in the day.
I went to the bank and deposited my pay check, all the numbers agreed, all good.
I rode back downtown and picked up 3-4 bubble mailers at the Amazon place, then rode along the Paseo De San Antonio and realized that walking along side me was Leroy, the sax player. So we had a good old hang-out time, catching up on things, while we walked to the long-closed Johnny Rockets and he set up.
I told him about my two Whole Foods locations, and that honestly, people like the *tone* one is playing with, and generally have no idea what the song is. I've quizzed 'em, after getting a tip and gushing praise, asked, "OK what was I just playing?" and they have no idea. It's all about the tone.
Then I went to Sakura Market and got a package of coffee, a single sugar-free Lipovitan, and since I'd bought one of their small T-shirts which might be a bit too small after it gets washed, got a Medium one. I'd have a nice new T-shirt to wear over the weekend, out busking.
I rode down to Walmart and locked the bike up at Big-5 as usual. I had one old Whole Foods bag with the bubble mailers in it, tied to one handlebar, and took one in with me. I had $34 on me and another $8 in change in my change bag, which I forget to take in with me and realized this once I was inside. So, no extras.
I got T.P. paper towels, some pepitas, some Farmer John sausages, just normal stuff and it came to $30 so that was perfect. I got that all bagged up and walked back to the bike.
The first thing I noticed was that the Whole Foods bag I'd had tied to the handlebars was now lying on the sidewalk, handles still tied in a knot, though. The bubble mailers were still in it. In the bags, my new T-shirt and my old long-sleeve waffle weave thing, complete with a lil' B.O., were gone. And in the other pannier, there was a goofy little bike cable with combination lock thing. Like a bum had taken the shirts, and left this near-toy thing as a sort of payment. I tossed that on the sidewalk, packed things away, and assessed the damage.
They hadn't taken the change bag with $8 in change in it, and bums love change! They hadn't taken the really nice flashlight that was in there either. They hadn't taken the package of coffee because using that would mean having hot water, and a regular cup, etc., things a bum, which exists by hand-to-mouth, sort of like a dog but with hands. Maybe the best comparison is a squirrel. They've got little hands but can't cook or prepare things, or open cans, or really do anything in the way of food preparation.
Well shit, I thought, it could have been worse. I rode back downtown, right back to Sakura and bought another one of the same T-shirt because I had wanted one.
I checked in with Leroy again who was making tips, and we talked about the crazy things we've seen bums do. It's good to see he's making tips because downtown is so dead. What's funny is, he never heard about the real reason the Walgreens got closed, about the security guard shooting and killing a guy, or was it the other way around? In any case, there was a death and that was it for Walgreens downtown. 'You can look it up!" I said.
On my way home I stopped at Nijiya and got a package of shrimp that was $7.50 or so and used the change to pay for that. I had shrimp soup for dinner and it was good.
No comments:
Post a Comment