Wednesday, January 5, 2022

You can't test your way in.

 248th day sober. I got stuff ready to list last night but before I knew it it was 11:30 or so, time to get ready for bed. I brushed teeth etc. and practiced, and it went just a little bit better .... I don't get it; I was sick or tired or whatever that was, for about a week and it's knocked me wayyy back in playing ability. 

I really wonder at times if I've chosen the best "retirement career" but then I remember that the standard of performance for busking is incredibly low, and that the average tip-giver doesn't care about high note screaming, they care if you can make it through some basic tunes without fucking up. I really don't need to worry about it, as long as I get my practice in every day and once the weather warms up again, take up my position as the only busker in my city. 

I was listening to the radio yesterday and on some show by the BBC, a lady was recounting something or other and mentioned a guy telling her how he'd been to Oxford, and then observed that "People who've been to Oxford will tell you so, without any reason to". 

My older sister is that way about Punahou, the elite prep school she went to - you never have to ask if a Punahou snob has been there, they'll make sure you know. A lot of really nice people have gone there also, of course. 

The funny thing is, there's no need to be a snob about Punahou. It's a perfectly nice place and these days they even let poor kids in via scholarships. You don't have to be a certain percentage Hawaiian to get in, so it's had every kind of kid go there, from one who became President to "Sonny Beethoven", a guy who used to play sax on the sidewalk in Waikiki. Unlike the "Money's the only way to get in" old days, you *can* test your way in.

But snobs will snob and in retaliation (I'm pretty sure alcohol was involved) years ago I told her something like "Fuck Punahou" and to her it means all the buildings and towers will fall down because I insulted Punahou, and the truth is, world wars would operate very differently if things worked that way. And I don't even feel that way about Punahou, as I have too many fond memories of the carnival, and the beauty of the place.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Getting days mixed up.

 I was right in the middle of taking a bunch of illuminators apart when I heard Ken's truck pull up. I'd called him to say Let's...