Sunday, January 2, 2022

The day after

 245th day sober. I still felt "off" so I alternated between watching stuff on YouTube, answering a few Ebay questions, and going to bed where at least I was warm, and reading the Nabokov book. 

The book, "The Portable Nabokov" is a good selection of  his stories and even some poems, as well as an interesting introduction. I could not get much out of the stories this time around, though, which are densely written. The exception was the last one, "Pnin" which was quite good. The protagonist is a Russian exile from the revolution who's been bouncing around the world ever since, and has ended up teaching at what was probably a typical American college of the 1950s. I noticed that what he paid for his rented room is the equivalent of $600 a month now. 

I headed out of here about 11:30, stopped at Whole Foods to use their bathroom and bought some elderberry syrup which is good if I feel like I'm dragging or like I might be catching a bug, and got cash back too. 

I rode over to International Food Bazaar; wow that's a bit of a long ride. First thing I got a plate lunch and ate it at one of the tables outside. They gave me enough rice to feed an army, so when I was done eating I put it over at the bus stop for one of the many bums - even in this "nice" neighborhood in Campbell - to find. 

I then did some serious shopping. Halvah and dry-cured olives and string cheese and all kinds of things. I also went down the block to check out Music Village which was of course closed but at least I know it's nearby. 

I took a different route coming back, and after riding quite a bit, maybe what felt like halfway back, I thought a certain strip mall looked familiar ... there was Bullseye Bishop, the gun shop I'd been to. So I'd been going quite a bit further than what I already felt was a long ride. It was nice being out in the sun though. 

I came back to Whole Foods and locked the bike up, got a can of coffee for the walk, and walked over to Target. By the SAP center there was a guy just standing there with this rolling locker thing. We had a fun time talking. It was lockers for sports fans to put purses, backpacks etc into and there was a minor-league hockey game going on, with maybe 400 spectators. We had a laugh about how odd it looked, with a guy, a locker, and no one else visible up and down the block. 

I got some Biscoff cookies at the World Imports place and then did the serious "quest" at Target. I got a pillow, a big wall calendar, a package of paper towels, rubbing alcohol, etc. Spray foot powder is no longer available there or online, it's just a non-thing now and I already have a couple jars of the old-fashioned non-spray kind that I'd bought online. Rubbing alcohol was back down to the pre-covid price though. 

Carrying all the stuff back was "fun" but I managed. When I got back to Whole Foods I dumped everything into a cart and went in for some cucumbers, then went out and arranged everything on the bike and actually was able to ride home pretty easily. 

Two funny things seen outside today: On Zombie/Commercial street, saw a speedboat, on a trailer, with a camper, the type usually seen on a truck bed, on top of the boat. That zombie is ready for whatever comes. And on Autumn Street, a block down from the SAP Center, someone had left 15 bottles of beer on the sidewalk. It was a box of 12 bottles of Modelo I think, plus a few bottles on top of a few other brands. I passed this on my way to Target and on my way back, and no one had touched it. Of course the area is thick with zombies so once night fell, I'm sure it disappeared. Nothing like a few cold brews to go with human brains!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Getting days mixed up.

 I was right in the middle of taking a bunch of illuminators apart when I heard Ken's truck pull up. I'd called him to say Let's...