Thursday, October 3, 2024

Head of the year 5785

 It's, or it was, Rosh HaShana, literally the head of the year 5785. 

I was so overworked I didn't go to bed until around 6AM then woke up at 2PM of course. Oh. Shit. 

I loaded up the bike with a change of clothes, some toiletries, and a load of packages on the trailer to go to the post office. I was able to get out of here at a quarter to 4. 

I rode to the downtown post office and dropped off the packages. Then, of course, I went to Whole Foods. I got 4 1-liter tetra-paks of water, 4 beef sticks, two packages of those little wine bottles, and a cucumber. 

Then I rode to the Diridon light rail and the green train came by moments later. Yes, the green train is less crowded from Diridon south, but it still had a bunch of other guys on bikes and most of them had a thing or two to say about taking one's bike trailer on the train. It's awkward. I had a guy jump in and help me maneuver my rig both getting in and getting out. 

I hung out a bit at one of the bus benches there are the Winchester transit hub, having a beef stick and half the cucumber, and a little bottle of wine. I also put a few Nuun tablets in one of the bottles of water and shook that around. It tasted OK but the bottle had a leak at the neck so I could drink from it but would give up maybe 10% of it. 

I rode to this big old historic theater in Campbell and I got there well ahead of time. I befriended a homeless guy named Jeff, who kind of lives by the public restrooms there. I gave him 2 liters of water and a few small bottles of wine. I tried to tell him about Adult Protective Services and such things, and I'm not sure he's competent to look out for himself which is exactly what Adult Protective Service. I even suggested he commit a crime to get hooked up to services because long ago a guy I talked to on the VTA said the best thing that ever happened to him was going to jail, because then he got hooked up with services. 

I went into the public restroom which, surprisingly, was fairly clean for a public loo, and had TP and everything. I got out this "Shower In A Bag" think I'd bought at Upshift Bicycles a while back. It turned out to be a nice scrubby terry towel and a little bag of liquid that smells a little like essential oils. The towel was just big enough for me to scrub my back, and I was able to get myself pretty clean, and also change into the clean clothes I'd brought. 

I came out and a lady was handing Jeff a bottle of fruit juice, and I asked her if she was local, which she was. I said I only come there maybe once a year, and if she's local she might be able to help Jeff get connected with Adult Protective Services. I said this is tikkun olam, right here. 

I went inside and indeed my high holidays tickets, in the form of a sort of badge to wear around my neck like tech workers wear, were in will call. The theater was great. To think my mother and my aunt used to perform in theaters like that. 

The service was pretty good and the rabbi gave what I'd actually call a fiery sermon. I got plenty of singing in, which I do because I feel it might help me be a better trumpet player. 

It was 10 to 9 when it was all over. I figured, I'm right by Winchester Boulevard, I'll just ride on it North until I see some cross street I know. It turned out to not be all that long a ride until I was at Santana Row. That means I could have ridden down there easily. 

Then it was just a matter of Stevens Creek to Shasta to The Alameda. I stopped in at the Five Guys and ordered a single patty, mayo and onion, as a lettuce wrap. It was pretty good although there was no detectable onion. That cost me $12 because I tipped $2. 

As  I got closer to the ship, Ken called me and asked me if I wanted a burger. I said, sure. 

I got back here, put things away, got out another pair of the "sports" shorts I'd bought at Goodwill because the pair I was wearing had disappeared, vacuumed the office and cleaned the bathroom. If I don't do these things in the 20 minutes allotted on Wednesday, they don't get done until the next Wednesday. 

Ken came by, I got my check, we talked about things, I explained my fishing analogy, and I said the situation is, to me Christmas and Easter and all those are normal work days, but the first 10 days of October are my Christmas and Easter and Thanksgiving and all that, and I'll be extra busy. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

The renaming

 I woke up around noon. I turned on the radio and there's old El Dumpo whining about something, and he also re-named the Republican Part...