Sunday, July 7, 2024

Saturday night

 The service on Friday night was last-minute changed from out on the patio to inside, but the AC turned out to not be working. At least it was shortish as services go. Then we went to the hall for the food and socializing and the AC was working there. 

The service was run by the cantor, a young gal still in high school I think who's a cantor in training I think, and one of the guys, the "ritual committee" I think it's called. Our cantor's very good at singing and the young gal is not too far behind. 

I had a great time talking with some people; the guy I'd told about the book about riding the Tour de France route had just gotten it in the mail and was about to read it, and someone else in there turns out to be an art major who wants to make a graphic novel, and I was able to recount how much of a nut I was as a kid over MAD Magazine, the National Lampoon, and underground comics and in the 70s those last were really something. 

Then as it was still light, the sun still out in fact, I got my cake pan back from the cop and hung out talking with him a bit. He's all hepped up at the idea of getting books to trade in for trade credit at the book store and then buying books about guns and shooting from there. He's a cop so he's making pretty decent money but he's also got a family and a house so the prospect of getting some books he wants in exchange for shuffling around other books must be pretty tempting.

I rode over to Whole Foods and did a fair amount of shopping. I was surprised it only came to about $40. I picked up a bunch of books on the way home too. 

I got back here, put things away, and had my Shabbat. At least the neighbors didn't play with their pressure washer today. 


 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

More worried about big island friend

 Well, I've not heard from Pat, and I even emailed Dave in Honolulu and he's not heard from Pat for a while either. So I just told P...