Monday, July 22, 2024

One drop

 Well, the world is getting used to Harris running and this certainly flips the table. The biggest thing is that now, El Dumpo is the doddering oldster. And Harris has served as vice president quietly, was a district attorney before that, it's all been pretty quiet and calm and normal. 

So now the Right is picking on her race. Race is all-important in the US and since apparently she has a tiny bit of African in her makeup, now she's black. Because in the US we follow the "one drop" rule. But then we elected a guy who was half black and as far as Americans were concerned was 100% black, and then re-elected him. I just saw him as a rather nice guy who went to high school with my older sister. 

I hope most of us just want someone who's normal and won't end the "American Experiment" - that experiment being to choose leaders not by warfare and assassinations but by the vote. This was a pretty new idea in the 1700s. It's still too radical an idea for some. 

I went out yesterday, late in the day, and did a Walmart run. I found a few books on the way back including Kerouac's first book that wasn't published for a long time, about his time in the Merchant Marine. There were lots of zombies out, due to the warm weather, but I'm good at zombie-dodging. I suss them out a block ahead. 

I got back in here, cooked dinner, finished a load of laundry and hung it up and started another load. I'm thinking I might follow a system of, on Sunday, doing the same. Finish the load that's been soaking and hang it up, and start a new load. This would mean getting a load washed each week and not getting behind. 

What I didn't do was busk or practice. I've not been practicing and I didn't feel very enthusiastic about busking if I've not been practicing. Plus I'd have only caught the lunch crowd if I'd jumped right out of bed, had the trumpet all packed up and the tip box in the bike bag, myself all washed and shaved and all cleaned up and ready to go. 

Instead I felt very un-motivated, and only did the Walmart run so I'd not have to during the week, so I could pay more attention to my listing and shipping and work in general. 

And it's now in: A guy named Mark Kelley who's been, amazingly, a fighter pilot, an astronaut, and the husband of Gabby Giffords who was shot and survived some years ago, will probably be Harris' running mate. Putting an astronaut in the White House is a good angle. It's not that astronauts are that much smarter than those in many other trades, but people look up (haha!) to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Starting my Sunday the right way

 By sending $50 to the Harris campaign, of course!  I got a little practice in last night, and also had an interesting thing happen. The dum...