Friday, May 31, 2024

Still feel not-too-great

 I actually did a ton of things yesterday, shipped out 27 things and packed another 3 when  I got back, put some things away, etc. 

I feel like junk and won't go to services tonight. I have a little scratchy/phlegm-y throat, tired, balance less good. Last night I made myself a huge bowl of "Universestar Ah-Sha Noodles with spicy sauce" which I'd been having a lot of lately but that's one thing that's changed recently so time to change that back to my more usual dishes which are generally lots of veggies, some meat or fish, and broth from a miso ramen packet. Or I have some more traditional liquid miso packets which go with little packets of seaweed etc. that normally go in miso - those are good with fish. Those dishes are tried and true. I'll leave what I have left of the "Universestar" noodles by the bridge for the bums.

Another factor is, I'm tapered way down from the sauce, and the half bottle of wine  I had yesterday is the maximum I should be having. If not just a half bottle on Friday and none the rest of the week. But I might feel weird because of this tapering down. 

Another factor is the weather has turned very hot. That's a stressor plus it means different dusts and pollens in the air. 

Another thing is, Ken called me yesterday saying he felt a bit sick so he thought it best to not come over this week and I agreed, then later sent him an email saying I'd seen on the r/hawaii subreddit that there's a bug going around in Hawaii, and people from Hawaii visit Las Veges, where Ken had just come back from, a ton. He'd been there visiting his daughter who's an airline stewardess.

I'd only gotten a few hours of sleep the night before last. Last night I worked until 4AM then woke up around 8 which is good but I wanted to get more sleep so I went back to sleep until 11:30 which is a lot better.

In other news I have a sort of blister thing on my lower lip, kind of looks like a blood blister but flatter. I think it's a bit of sunburn. So maybe I should wear a mask when I go out in this strong sun. This might preclude doing any busking on Sunday which is the only day I've got free to do it these days. 

In my economics "the sauce" makes a huge difference. If I were buying a half-bottle of wine each Friday that wouldn't be so bad. If I'm heavily using "the sauce" is $10 or more a day which means $300 a month which means $3600 a year.  A half-size bottle or even one bottle of wine a week, to the tune of $10/week, means $520 a year. Still bad but not nearly as bad. 

I'm also way off of coffee. No more buying cans of the French Market stuff and filters. No more making multiple mugs of it a day. My brand now is Elite instant from Israel and I'm averaging less than a cup a day. Today I'm starting my day with some Japanese green tea. 

I packed another big package and another small one, and left here to ship them at 2:30. The sun is strong this time of day so I wore a mask because I really want my lip to get better. My favorite food truck was there and I gave the lady the $1 I owed her, and got two big chicken drumsticks for $2.50 and ate them standing by the truck. I think the (Vietnamese) lady does all the cooking and I like her cooking, nicely flavored without being too spicy. 

I found some packing supplies as usual on the way back, got back and put things away, relaxed a bit, then was out again for shopping at Sprouts. I locked the bike at H Mart of course because it's not safe at Sprouts. I picked out the things I wanted, and it came out to $2 more than I had in my pocket so it went on the card.

But I feel pretty good anyway because it means that while my Shabbat shopping was $51, I actually had $49 on hand and the only reason I had that much was, when I was riding there, traveling on Rogers Avenue (bum city!) I ended up right behind a bum with a (empty) heavy-duty bike trailer who shot out of the really questionable scrap metal place, and I ended up right behind him. He didn't even seem to know I was there. Pretty soon I noticed him running over some leaves... wait, that's money. A little cluster of bills that the wind soon started blowing away. 

"I'll chase those leaves" I said to myself as I chased them and gathered them up. They could have been dropped by anyone, and been in a little bundle and the bum running them over made them spread out enough for the wind to catch them. Or the bum dropped them, but now the bum was long gone. I didn't think about it until I was well along Brokaw and there was the bum, messing around with his bike like maybe he was getting a flat. I now was richer by $15.

I rode on by. You don't want to get involved with the bums around here. Tom's many troubles and the fact that his place looks like an eyesore now, is an example of what you get for being friendly to bums. Another guy who was friendly to bums/meth-heads against my (and others') advice got his place burned. It was called the Bear Creek fire. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Dachau II

 https://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/1do69fi/san_antonio_us_rep_chip_roy_says_he_wants_to/ Keep in mind that Dachau, the first concen...