Wednesday, May 15, 2024

Somehow listening to a pledge drive is easier ...

 When I've kicked in my fair share. What really got me was when the people on NPR started talking about defending free and independent journalism because that's a real concern. Even here in the "enlightened" SF Bay Area we've got NPR, KPFA, maybe a college station or two, and the rest of the non-music stations are all Clear Channel / Sinclair / Der Sturmer crap. 

I think I might be eligible for "KQED Passport" now which means I can watch a bunch of neat videos they have, lots of Ken Burns stuff for instance. 

Yesterday I was all done listing 10 things and when I came back from my post office / FedEx run, I was all done with work for the day. Except I had a test instrument lined up to take apart, as someone had already taken some parts off. 

First I cooked up some of these "BT21 Ah Sha Noodles" I'd gotten a package of on a whim at Whole Foods, this time with some codfish that was ... ehhh ... fishy. So to thaw the cod I put it in a big bowl of water with some lemon juice in, while I prepared the noodles and veggies. By the time I was ready to cook the fish, it was pretty much fine. I'd gotten it thinking I might try making gefilte fish but it looks too time-consuming. 

Then I got the test instrument out and the tools and went at it. That took some hours while at least I listened to YouTube documentaries. Then it was just brush teeth, wash hair, get ready for bed, wine and YouTube, and studying in my Hebrew book. And then bed. 

I actually woke up at something like 7:30 and went back to bed to half-sleep until just before 9. I did some crunches on the theory it will help my back, then got up and put the things I'd listed yesterday, away. It's a way to get myself up and moving around. Then I made myself a cup of Elite, as will be my morning routine at least until I used up the cream I'd bought. It's OK. I think I can get used to it because it tastes like the instant coffee my mother used to make for herself each morning in the 1970s. 

This thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/Israel/comments/1cs6gle/whats_your_only_in_israel_story/ shows a lot of why I'm pretty turned on about the prospect of retiring in Israel. It's how my 1970s childhood in Hawaii would have been if I'd been of the dominant ethnicity/color. 

I had time to list 25 things on Ebay, pack 12 things, make the post office and FedEx run, and do some shopping at Sprouts and H Mart. 

Then come back and make a beef curry with lots of veggies, put listed things away and get out things that are to be sent next. And clean the bathroom, office, and do a good parking lot litter pickup. 

Ken came by a little later than usual, and we talked, and I got my check but he'll be gone for a week and I guess I'll next see him on the 29th when we'll settle up - I'll get a double paycheck plus I sold him my collection of knives and multi-tools so that will be another $200. 

Then we sat around talking, mainly about radio/engineering stuff. He left a bit after midnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dachau II

 https://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/1do69fi/san_antonio_us_rep_chip_roy_says_he_wants_to/ Keep in mind that Dachau, the first concen...