Thursday, April 18, 2024

It may be just it.

 I followed my new rule of "no work after midnight" and watched youtube, had some cucumbers and cheese, watched YouTube, practiced my shofar a bit, and drank wine, but less than the night before. 

I've tapered my drink during the day from 1/3 wine and the rest water and Coke Zero, to 50ml wine and the rest water and Coke Zero, to about 2 tablespoons of wine with 100ml if Coke Zero and the rest water. 

I got into mixing wine with Coke from hearing a while back that half and half wine and cola is a thing in S. America. It's got a pretty good taste. 

I felt a lot steadier when I woke up and did a bunch of exercises too. 

On the shofar practice, I'm really making progress. I want to get a larger, more "professional" shofar and be practiced up for Rosh Hashana in October, and this small one, being hard to play than a large one, is great to practice on. 

I've not heard back from my older sister so far, although I think it's perfectly reasonable for her to wait a week or so before sending a letter or an email. And in the case of a letter it can take a week to come, so that stretches it out to 2 weeks. If there's nothing after 2 weeks, then  I think I'll call Tom once more and thank him for being a stand-up guy, and say that I won't bother them further. 

The thing is, my older sister is actually not as smart as she thinks she is. That comes from being a bit of a hothouse flower. And she doesn't like being "outdone" which to her, means a person has looked more deeply into a thing that she's pronounced something on. An example is, she at least used to subscribe to a magazine called the Utne Reader. I'd mentioned that The Nation is more like the real Left (I'd found the old Utne to be painfully middle-class) and she said something like, everything she did I felt compelled to do better. In other words, any challenge to her views on things is taken as an attack. I don't know how she's handle my telling her that her go-to "I am very smart "phrase, "We're not a democracy, we're a republic" is not only untrue but is a major Right talking point. In other words, we may have grown apart. 

But at least I've tried and feel better that I've tried. 

I pad time to pack 15 things and took them to FedEx and the post office, found plenty of packing material on the way back, came back and unloaded the bike and then went back out again to Sprouts for nice foods for the weekend so I don't have to worry about that tomorrow. 

Since I'd gotten some freebee fresh shiitake mushrooms behind H Mart, I had beef soup with onion, garlic, and shiitake mushrooms. It was pretty good. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Up just before nine

 This is working out well. I had the alarm set for nine, but woke up about a quarter til. And this little alarm clock isn't even a big n...