I had such a huge number of things to ship, I put off going to the bank until today. I was up in time to clean up a bit, collect my donations and a couple of packages for the post office, and get going in time. I dropped off the donations and packages, and deposited the check, that I'd gotten last week, in the bank and their numbers and mine added up fine, plus the IRS cashed my check so that's that taken care of.
I picked up a few bubble mailers from the Amazon place and stopped at Nijiya for a couple of things, and got back here. I was working on packing a large package to take to FedEx and the neighbor from the welding place came over. It turns out the illegal night club had been busted and it had even made the news - pretty much all channels.
"I don't take a newspaper so I didn't know..." was my reaction. All the news agencies possible doesn't matter in the least to me, because I'll never know. If I took a newspaper, I'd read the thing and have found out a couple of weeks ago when the bust was done. Or, a neighbor catching me up on the latest gossip, that works.
Ken came by around midnight, and brought me a big hamburger from Carl's Jr. because like any good American, he looks out for his friends, making sure the beef level in their bodies is adequate. Then we had fun hunting for his checkbook, somewhere in the clutter in his car and I found it this time. I got my pay check, to be deposited on Monday.
He also brought a bunch of stuff to sell that looks like a good batch, so that's good.
When he was gone, around 1AM, I set about photographing the 22 high voltage capacitors I'd been working on, but the counter in my camera that numbers the photos "rolled over" with the result that, as far as I can tell, the photos are utterly randomized and will have to be taken again.
This is something that's going to be highly amusing to me once I leave here. Ken will find out how much work this business is, and the whole thing will melt down. And quickly.
It's nowhere near as easy as it was in 2012 when I started doing this job. There's much, much more effort in getting things to list because I have to dig around more and take things apart. Shipping is insane now and on large, heavy things, the shipping generally comes out double the original quote that the customer pays. The internet is slower, and so is Ebay itself. Both are buggier. And a lot of mundane things that used to sell well, don't any more because everyone is selling them now.
I'd also asked Ken how his reverse mortgage thing is going, and he said, "They make you jump through all these hoops" and apparently the company found all kinds of old liens on his house, some going back to the 90s.
Oh well time to shoot all those photos again...
No comments:
Post a Comment